Year 3 have been developing their inquiry skills by being great detectives. They thought of lots of questions which they wanted to investigate to find out more about rocks and soils They then planned and carried out various experiments and tests to gain more knowledge. They tried really hard to ensure that their tests were fair, recognising when factors (or variables) were not fair. Here are some of our findings:
- "We scratched the rocks to see if they were hard or soft. Soft rocks like chalk have deep scratches but slate is hard because you can't really see the scratch" Nacho.
- "Permeable means that water can go through it. You want your roof to be made out of an impermeable rock so you don't get wet when you are in bed!" Cedric.
- "You can use a sieve to separate the rocks from the soil." Sophia.
- "You can use different size sieves to sort the different sized particles." Alba
- "Some rocks fizzed with acid and some particles came off" Marcel "This would be a bad rock to build buildings!"