Information and Reminders
- We had a wonderful time at our class parties yesterday, the children thoroughly enjoyed themselves and lots of fun was had by all. Thank you very much for all the delicious food that was sent in to help us celebrate!
- The Year 4 team wish you a great holiday and we look forward to seeing all the children on Monday 9th January 2017.
- Reading books will be changed on a Monday and a Thursday. We have sent activities home with the children for you to try with them and their reading books. We are wanting Year 4 children to read at home at least 3 times a week. If you read with your child at home please mark inside their learning journals for their class teachers to see.
- Homework is sent on Wednesdays and must be returned on Mondays to be marked. Please make sure you encourage your child to complete it on their own and inform us if they found the activity challenging so we can further support them in school. They can sign up for homework club on Thursdays and Fridays which is first come, first served.
- Don’t forget to check Class Dojo to see how many House Points your child has been collecting and to see posts of what is happening in your child’s class.
- As the weather turns colder please can you ensure that your children are wearing winter uniform and are bringing a coat to school with them.
- CCAs will begin again on Monday 16th January.
Monday 9th January – First day of spring term
Monday 16th January- CCAs begin
Sunday 22nd January- Temple Fair
Thursday 26th January- Chinese New Year Celebration Dress Up Day
Friday 27th January – Sunday 5th February- School closed for Chinese New Year
Monday 6th February- School reopens
Stars of the Week
4A – Riccardo Moccia
4B – Kelly Lee
4C- Happy Liang
In our English lessons we are going to be focussing on the skills of being able to write persuasively. We will unpick what makes good persuasive adverts and explore the specific language that is used in persuasive texts. From here we will develop our skills of being able to write a persuasive piece of text using rhetorical questioning, fronted adverbials and suitable persuasive phrasing.
Guided Reading: In guided reading this week we will be focussing on our recording and retrieval skills in non-fiction texts.
Spelling: In our spelling lesson this week we will be focussing on learning strategies to help us to correctly spell homophones.
In maths we will be covering telling the time. We will begin the week by reading 24 hour digital time and then moving onto being able to write times using the 24 hour digital clock. We will then challenge ourselves even further by beginning to be able to write the time using a 12 hour analogue clock. At the end of the week we will be focussing on converting between 12 and 24 hour times and understanding why we use both methods to tell the time.
This week will be our final week of “Chocolate”. We will end the topic by being both scientists and technologist. As scientists we will be exploring the effects of melting and solidifying of chocolate and what impact this has on the quality of the taste. As technologists we will be designing and creating our own chocolate bar. At the end of the week we will be enjoying eating our chocolate bars and evaluating our final products.