- On Wednesday 13 December we will be having Festive Frock day! Children are invited to wear festive outfits. Please bring in a donation of 20 RMB. It is also Christmas party day!
- Thank you to everyone who attended our Christmas Show. The children were delighted to see you and to have the opportunity to sing and dance for their families.
- Please note the library is now closed. If you have any library books, please return them to school this week. The children will be able to take out a new book when they return after the holidays.
- This will be Mrs Katie Riordan’s last week in Pre Nursery. We would like to wish her and her family all the very best in their move back to New Zealand. I hope that we can make this a special and happy week for her.
- We are also excited to announce that we will be opening a new Pre Nursery class in January, the Pre Nursery Polar Bears. I am sure you will support us in making the new teachers, children and families welcome.
- Last day of term: Friday 15th December
- First day back: Tuesday 9th January
OUR LEARNING THEMES
Each teacher will plan learning experiences that link to the readiness and interests that they observe in the children in their class. While these separate themes operate in each room, the children know they are free to choose to work in another room. The planning is specific to each classroom, but not confined to that class, so children have many rich opportunities available to them across the three classrooms. Mandarin teaching will link into each theme, with the Mandarin speaking staff introducing specific language, books and songs.
PRE NURSERY CUBS
After the success of our Christmas Show last week, the interest in the culture around Christmas and winter has continue into the last week of term. In art we will be collaborating by working on Christmas decorations, working together to paint, stick and cut, which we will then be putting on our Pre Nursery Christmas tree! We will also be studying ice, observing it melt in our sensory troughs and exploring what happens when it changes from solid to liquid, perhaps a lovely time to also make our own ice lollies together! We will continue to practise our singing and expand on our winter vocabulary in both English and Chinese, using words like warm, cold, hat, jacket and boots. This is also a good opportunity to talk about winter illness and keeping ourselves, warm, clean and healthy with good food, warm clothing and plenty of hand-washing to keep the germs away. Christmas crafts will also feature as we encourage the children to try out their mark-making, cutting, painting and gluing skills in different ways.
We are also using these colder days to teach the children self-help skills such as putting on their own warm jackets and hats.
We will also have fun getting ready for our classroom Christmas party on Wednesday, making hats and more decorations for our classrooms. We will be decorating a muffin to eat at the party using icing and sprinkles.
We may also have a visit from Father Christmas. Ho! Ho!Ho!
We will talk about winter next week, sing some songs and read some stories about this topic.
winter/dong tian/冬天， cold/leng/冷，jacket/wai tao/外套，snow man/xue ren/ 雪人
Edelweiss/xue rong hua/雪绒花
Winnie in winter/dong tian de wen ni/冬天的温妮
It’s snowing/xia xue le/下雪了
Edelweiss/xue rong hua/雪绒花