- A warm welcome back to school for all new and existing students. We have had an exciting first week in Year 1 and are looking forward enabling all the children to thrive and achieve throughout the year.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- For more information about the routines of your child’s individual class please attend our ‘Meet and Greet’ meeting on Monday 21st August from 6.00-8.00pm. There will be a brief ‘Welcome’, followed by two sessions with class teachers in the classrooms; one at 6.30pm and another at 7.15pm. This will give you the opportunity to meet teachers if you have children in different year groups. It will allow you also to ask any questions and meet other parents of children in your class.
We would like to ask that children do not attend the Meet & Greet event. The event is targeted at adults and the timing is late for the children on a school night.
We fully understand that for some NEW parents, you do not yet have child care and so may have to bring your children. If you are bringing your child, please be responsible for your child at all times as they cannot be left unsupervised in school or the playground. You may want to bring something to keep them quietly occupied while the teacher is talking.
- If for any reason your child is unable to take part in PE, please send a signed message in your child’s communication book. Your child still needs to bring in their PE kit to enable them to participate as a coach, an official or to give feedback. If your child would be swimming, they should bring their normal PE kit.
- ECA and BISCAP sign-up is available on the school website until 31st August and confirmation letters will follow. Both programmes will begin on Monday 4th September.
This week in Literacy the children will practise their pencil control and letter formation. They will also learn how to write labels for different diagrams and pictures. Children will then write a special list of important items that they would need to take with them on holiday. We will be starting to learn all about finger spaces and how important they are when writing.
Pencil, letters, lower case, capitals, finger spaces, labels, lists, diagrams, pictures.
In Maths, children will be practising their counting, number recognition and number formation. They will also begin to learn about one more and one less than a number. Children will focus on how to use a number line/ number square to help them with this.
Numbers, counting, number formation, one more, one less, forwards, backwards, numberline, hundred/number square.
This term Year 1 will be learning all about the theme ‘Me, Myself and I’ They will focus on getting to know their new friends and basic part of their body.
This week we will be learning how to sketch when creating observational self portraits. Children will help each other to describe what they look like and will look closely in a mirror when focusing on the different shapes which make up their face. They will then carefully sketch their eyes, nose and mouth.
Sketching, pencil, observations, drawing, mirror, shapes, eyes, nose, mouth, face, head.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND DIGITAL LITERACY
This week, children will be learning how to log themselves on and off of a computer or laptop. They will focus on learning how to type the Year 1 user name and password and will pratise their skills when moving the mouse. Within class, they will also be learning how to use the ipads correctly and safely.
Computer, laptop, keyboard, mouse, screen, log in, password, ipad.
With many new children joining our classes, we will be focusing, as a year group on settling into our new environment with particular emphasis on fostering new friendships and establishing golden rules. We will also focus on how we can keep healthy by washing our hands.
Positive, rule, safe, friendships, keeping healthy.