- A warm welcome back to school for all new and existing students. We have had an exciting first week in Year 2 and are looking forward to enabling all the children to thrive and achieve throughout the year.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- For more information about the routines of your child’s individual class please attend our ‘Meet and Greet’ meeting on Monday 21st August from 6.00-8.00pm. There will be a brief ‘Welcome’, followed by two sessions with class teachers in the classrooms; one at 6.30pm and another at 7.15pm. This will give you the opportunity to meet teachers if you have children in different year groups. It will allow you also to ask any questions and meet other parents of children in your class.
We would like to ask that children do not attend the Meet & Greet event. The event is targeted at adults and the timing is late for the children on a school night.
We fully understand that for some NEW parents, you do not yet have child care and so may have to bring your children. If you are bringing your child, please be responsible for your child at all times as they cannot be left unsupervised in school or the playground. You may want to bring something to keep them quietly occupied while the teacher is talking.
- If for any reason your child is unable to take part in PE, please send a signed message in your child’s communication book. Your child still needs to bring in their PE kit to enable them to participate as a coach, an official or to give feedback. If your child would be swimming, they should bring their normal PE kit.
- ECA and BISCAP sign-up is available on the school website until 31st August and confirmation letters will follow. Both programmes will begin on Monday 4th September.
This week in Literacy the children will be looking at the book ‘Would you rather…?’ They will be exploring this book and expressing their own ideas to one another, with particular reference to asking questions and using question marks.
Questions, question mark, lower case, upper case, capital letters.
In Maths, children will be comparing numbers, looking at ‘greater than’ and ‘less than’. We will be using number lines to reinforce place value when working with numbers to 100 and beyond.
Greater than, less than, number line, place value.
Our first STEAM theme will be Buildings and Structures. We will be launching into our new theme by exploring great artists and craft makers who have inspired and designed wonderful buildings around Shanghai and how this compares to other buildings and structures around the world. We will be researching the work of Laszlo Hudec in Shanghai and delving into the world of Art Deco, becoming Grand Designers ourselves.
Art Deco, evaluate, analyse, culture, chronology, printing, structure, design, architect.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND DIGITAL LITERACY
The children will begin to learn about Power Point. Over the coming weeks they will learn how to add slides and images as background and they how to add text so their presentations have a WOW impact on their audience.
Computer, laptop, keyboard, mouse, screen, log in, password, i-pad, power point, slide, image, insert, impact.
With many new children joining our classes, we will be focusing as a year group on settling into our new environment with particular emphasis on fostering new friendships and establishing golden rules. We will be exploring our emotions, asking what makes us happy and sad and how we can help each other to feel happy.
Positive, rule, safe, friendships, keeping healthy, emotions