As a Nord Anglia Education school we are part of a family of 43 schools across 15 countries, on 3 continents. Consequently, by joining BVIS Hanoi you would be joining a global community of over 3500 professional educators from Boston to Beijing; Houston to Hanoi and Prague to Phnom Penh.
Our programme of continued professional development (CPD) ensures that our teachers are kept up to date with the latest teaching methodologies and ideas. It is expected that teachers will proactively continue to develop themselves as professionals whilst they are employed at the school.
We provide all teachers at BVIS, Hanoi with access to Nord Anglia University (NAU), so that you have the tools to ensure your knowledge, skills and expertise are not just maintained while teaching at our school, but are also developed further.
Nord Anglia University is an online professional learning centre. The University offers:
- Leadership programmes for Principals, Senior Leaders, Middle Leaders and aspiring Leaders (some preconditions will need to be satisfied for inclusion on these courses)
- Online professional support and discussion forums
- Regionally based teacher training conferences
- Workshops in school
The school wishes to:
- Promote life-long learning
- Further develop skills as effective teachers
- Raise awareness towards a deeper understanding of teaching and learning
- Keep abreast of educational developments and initiatives
- Create a productive and positive school culture
- Initiate and sustain school improvement
- Encourage networking between colleagues in like-minded schools
- Encourage a stable teaching staff and contract renewal
In-house Continued Professional Development:
- New Staff Induction at the beginning of each academic year for new teachers.
- Teacher Days: The school is open each academic year for 8 teacher days when students are not at school. A variety of educational activities are organised during this time including whole school or individual campus CPD. Some of these may involve the use of external CPD providers.
- Lesson Observations: During the year, each teacher will be observed formally by a senior or middle manager. The purpose of these observations is to evaluate teachers’ performance and to offer, where necessary, suggestions for further skill development as well as to inform discussions about career development.
- Weekly Professional Meetings – Throughout the year, specific areas may be identified for development and in-house expertise can be shared with colleagues. A time has been set aside each Tuesday and Wednesday after school during which workshops or information dissemination can take place.
Off-campus Continued Professional Development
Additionally, the school often receives notification of formal CPD opportunities being offered in the region and will take advantage of them as appropriate. These usually fall into the following categories:
- Other schools within the region who are seeking to share the cost of an external CPD provider or wish to share their own in-house expertise
- An increasing number of private providers offering courses within the region
- IB/IGCSE/IPC regional courses
- Advanced Qualifications
The school will support a limited number of teachers who wish to study towards advanced qualifications like an MA, MBA, NPQH. Applications should be made to the Principal, initially through the Head of Section.