If you have not taught overseas before, you might like to consider whether you are the sort of person who is able to easily adapt to teaching in another country by reflecting on how you would respond to the following general advice:
- Learn as much as possible about the host country in advance so that you have realistic expectations
- Anticipate a challenging adjustment period of at least three months before making a decision about the move and whether you like it or not
- Do not expect to be able to replicate your current lifestyle. Look for what is there, not for what is not
- Always try to understand the host country's perspective. It will be different!
- Develop a tolerance for ambiguity and frustration by being flexible and open towards the new culture
- Do not expect of the new culture the same sense of urgency or availability of conveniences
- Look for ways to strengthen and maintain your enthusiasm
- Maintain a sense of humour, but most importantly be ready to laugh at yourself.