Qatar has a good number of schools however with the increasing population they are in high demand, and vary significantly in curriculum offered, qualifications of teachers and quality of education provision.
When choosing a school in Qatar for your child, consider the following:
- What type of school are you looking for? Qatar has some good options for international schools, but consider the following factors to decide if it's a credible choice and the right choice for your child.
- Look at the success rates of the schools. Do they have information freely available about their success rates and academic achievements?
- Does the school have a good reputation? What do other people say about the school? Talk to other parents and seek their advice and recommendations. You can do this online before you arrive, or by asking fellow employees within your company.
- What qualifications and curriculum does the school offer? Do you want your son or daughter to follow a particular curriculum such as the International Primary Curriculum, the British National Curriculum, IGCSEs or IBDP?
- Are the teachers and staff at the school suitably qualified and trained? Teachers at Nord Anglia International School, Al Khor are rigorously checked during the recruitment process and have access to excellent training programs.
- What opportunities are there for progression? Different schools cater for different age ranges so depending on how long you plan to stay in Doha, you might want to think about progression to secondary education. Our campus caters for children from early years through to A level (from September 2018).
- Is the school in a good location? How far is it from your neighbourhood or your employer? Travelling during rush hour can be challenging, so proximity is an important factor to consider.
When applying for schools in Qatar, there will often be an application fee, and the paperwork can be quite daunting. Give yourself plenty of time to make enquiries before you arrive if possible.
If you can't make arrangements before you arrive in Qatar, you may want to consider support for home-schooling until a suitable place becomes available.