Highly selective universities in the US and around the globe seek students with the IB Diploma. An alternative to the typical American high school program, the IB Diploma is a unique, academically rigorous experience. Your child is invited to join us in this two-year cycle for Grades 11 and 12.
Preparation for the future
No program will prepare your child for the future like the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, widely regarded as one of the best pre-university curricula worldwide. The IBDP is a comprehensive two-year program focused on intensive academic study and personal growth.
Students who have progressed through our school have a strong understanding of their own learning style, and are well-prepared to take on the broad and challenging scope of the IB diploma.
Other students choose to join the British International School of Boston at the start of the IBDP, giving them an impressive capstone on their high school years and making them more attractive to competitive universities.
program of study
Our IBDP students study six subjects, three at higher level and three at standard level:
- A literature-based language course
- A world language course: generally French or Spanish
- A social science: generally history
- An experimental science: biology, chemistry or physics
- A mathematics course
- An elective: these may include visual arts, theatre, geography, business management, economics, a second experimental science, a second language, and more
In addition, students must also complete three additional requirements:
- The Extended Essay: A 4,000-word independent, primary research paper on a topic related to one of the six subjects being studied, this in-depth study is a powerful preparation for college research projects.
- Theory of Knowledge: A critical thinking course aimed at helping students better understand how and why knowledge is gained, TOK helps the students develop a unified view of their six courses.
- Creativity, Activity and Service (CAS): Through CAS, students get involved in a variety of activities alongside their academic studies. They become involved in the arts and creative thinking (Creativity), stay physically active and healthy (Activity), and give back to the community (Service).
When seeking well-rounded candidates of strong academic ability, colleges and universities around the globe look to IB diploma holders.
Learn more about the IB Diploma Programme by scheduling a tour.