Living in Charlotte NC will offer an excellent experience for you and your family. An important business center with a strong family draw, you will find plenty of things to do in Charlotte NC.
Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and home to three-quarters of a million residents. Known as the ‘Queen City’ it is home to the second-largest banking center in the United States, attracting residents from all over the world. It is also an important historical center of the United States, home to the first gold mining activities on which the country thrived.
Living in Charlotte NC offers excellent family life. Here we aim to share a few insights but we are happy to introduce you to other families who will share their experiences with you.
Choosing your neighborhood
South Charlotte is home to some of the most family-friendly and attractive neighborhoods in the City. Some of the neighborhoods that our school families live in are as follows:
- Ballantyne - a modern community local to our school. Ballantyne is home to several major companies, shops and restaurants. Particular attractions include the Ballantyne Hotel and Lodge and the Ballantyne Country Club.
- Weddington - a family-focused community where half of all households have children under the age of 18. Weddington is statistically-speaking one of the most affluent towns in North Carolina and the majority of the town is given to residential land.
- The wider area of Union County (of which Weddington is part) is also attractive to many families attending our school. It is one of the top 20 fastest growing areas in the United States, with a blend of urban development to the West of the county and rural areas and open space to the East.
- In the town of Matthews you will find one third of households have children under the age of 18, also making this a family-friendly place to live in the Charlotte suburbs with plenty of shops, restaurants and art and cultural activities.
- Dominated by the largest shopping mall in North Carolina, SouthPark is also a popular residential area just to the South of Charlotte. Here - in addition to the mall and an excellent range of high-end boutique stores - you'll also find a large number of major employers in Charlotte.
- Also part of Union County, the small town of Waxhaw is a little further away from the city of Charlotte but nevertheless popular with families. It is a historical town that continues to grow and develop today.
Things to do in Charlotte NC
Aside from the city's strong focus on business and finance, you'll find plenty to do in Charlotte. This includes:
- Internationally recognized museums and galleries;
- Excellent restaurants;
- Extensive shopping with an excellent selection of upmarket and boutique stores;
- Outdoor activities, including golf, horse riding and white water rafting.
With a thriving international community and the warmth of the South, Charlotte is a friendly place to be and you'll find that you can quickly become involved - if you wish - with local opportunities such as volunteering.
Things to do with kids in Charlotte NC
Indoor and outdoor activities for you and your children abound in Charlotte. Within the city you'll find:
- Freedom Park, our beautiful inner-city park and a popular attraction amongst locals;
- Discovery Place, an excellent and interactive museum engaging families with science and nature;
- Lake Norman, a beautiful location for boating, fishing and other water and lake-side sports;
- The BB&T Ballpark and the Bank of America Stadium for family days out at the baseball and football.
Exploring Further Afield
Outside of the city you can be in the mountains within two hours and on the beach within three hours.
North Carolina has some of the United States' best kept secrets when it comes to the coastline. With 300 miles of beaches that offer great activities for families without being overrun by tourists.
Inland and to the West of Charlotte you can escape to the mountains. Here you'll find stunning scenery, fresh air and plenty of outdoor activities. You can drive the world-famous Blue Ridge Parkway, ski in the winter and hike throughout most of the year.