Our middle school scientists were cool, calm and collected as they calculated, measured and built their way through a Science Olympiad Invitational held right here at British International School of Chicago, South Loop. In the end, the Bulldogs earned several awards and qualified for the Regional Competition!
Science Olympiad (SO) is a nonprofit organization devoted to improving the quality of science education, increasing student interest in science and providing recognition for outstanding achievement in science education. SO puts on a series of rigorous academic competitions throughout the year, which require knowledge of science concepts, process skills and science applications.
At the British International School of Chicago Invitational, held on January 30, students from schools around the city competed in teams across a series of events. The events spanned topics like social science, earth science, chemistry and technology. For each event, the top students received medals according to their rank. Judges then combined the scores of each team during the event to determine an overall team score.
Congratulations to the BISC Junior Varsity Team for taking first place and to the Varsity Team for achieving second! Our students also earned top spots in several events. Check out the full list of awards below, and click here to learn more about each event.
With the Invitational behind them, our middle school teams are now preparing to join the BISC high school teams at the Regional Competition on March 19. Well done!
Varsity Team Awards
- Bio-Process Lab – Lucy and Fay
- Bridges – Rojaun and Alicia
- Crave the Wave – Franklin and Laken
- Anatomy and Physiology – Aoife and Anna
- Crime Busters – Lucy and Laken
- Dynamic Planet – Antje and Haley
- Air Trajectory – Franklin and Nicholas
- Experimental Design – Anna, Aoife and Alicia
- Food Science – Rachel and Aysu
- Write It Do It – Anna and Aoife
- Invasive Species – Rachel and Aysu
- Mission Possible – Franklin and Adam
- Picture This – Alicia and Rojaun
- Reach for the Stars – Nicholas and Matthew
Junior Varsity Awards
- Air Trajectory – Sam A. and Sumair
- Bridges – Maya and Ava
- Dynamic Planet - Sam A. and Sam C.
- Experimental Design – Juliette and Delli
- Food Science – Alex O. and Reighne
- Mission Possible – Maya and Ava
- Picture This- Ava and Vivi
- Wind Power – Leo and Varun
- Write It Do It – Noah and Jacob
- Invasive Species – Juliette and Andrew
- Anatomy and Physiology – Vivi and Sam C.
- Bio-Process Lab – Vivi and Neha