UKMT Intermediate Math Contest
In February, our high school freshmen and sophomores took part in the UK Mathematics Trust (UKMT) Intermediate Math Contest during Math class. Thousands of students from more than 30 countries compete in the contest each year. In just one hour, students are tasked with answering 25 multiple choice questions, which are marked by UKMT. The top 40% of scorers receive a Gold, Silver or Bronze Certificate.
- Emre and Oliver earned a Gold Certificate.
- Emre (Year 9), Oliver (Year 10) and Nicola (Year 11) won a Best in Year Certificate, which means they achieved the highest score in their year group at BISC South Loop.
- Oliver was among the top 5,000 scorers worldwide, qualifying for the hour-long multiple-choice Kangaroo Competition on March 17.
- Emre was among the top 500 scorers in Year 9 worldwide, qualifying for the Cayley Olympiad Competition on March 10. He’ll have to solve approximately five complex questions in two hours.
- Silver Awards were awarded to Christina, Evan, Megan, Rafael and Michael.
- Bronze Awards were awarded to Polina, Michael, Ben, Vanya, Laura and Colette.
ICTM State Math Contest
The Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ICTM) hosts the annual ICTM State Math Contest to recognize outstanding achievement through academic competition. Twelve of our high school students competed in a recent Regional Contest at Chicago State University. It featured 10 areas of competition spanning topics like algebra, geometry and calculus.
- Both of our teams took first place! Well done to the Algebra I team: Jackie, Evan, Megan, Michael, Vanya, Oliver and Theo; and also to the Algebra II team: Madeline, Kate, Vishwam, Nic and Katherine.
- On top of these team wins, we achieved great success in the individual competitions as well. Megan tied for first place in Algebra I, and Kate and Vishwam tied for first place in the Algebra II.
All the winners move on to the ICTM State Contest on May 7. Well done!