We offer grade 9 through 12 at LIS Chengdu.Our first Grade 12 students graduated in June 2016 and entered their choice of universities.
Our Léman pre-IB course for grades 9 and 10 prepares our students for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP).
The curriculum in Grades 11 and 12 at Léman International School leads students to a dual qualification: the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma and The Léman High School Diploma.
The IB Programme combines the benefits of a liberal arts education with the requirement that some subjects are studied in greater depth. The IB Diploma gives students access to college and university study throughout the world. In the United States and Canada, the IB is valued as an honours programme which leads to advanced standing and college credit at the finest universities. In Europe, the IB Diploma is highly valued and provides proof of strong academic achievement.
Students take six subjects in two-year courses, beginning in Grade 11 (DP 1), culminating in final examinations in May of Grade 12 (DP2). Students at LIS take subjects drawn from the following possible choices:
- Group 1: First Languages: English A (a literature and language based course) or Chinese A or self-study mother tongue A (both literature courses)
- Group 2: Second Languages: English B or Chinese B (French or Spanish Ab initio can be studied online with Pamoja if our face to face courses are not an option)
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies: History, Economics or online courses via Pamoja Education in Psychology, Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS) or Business and Management
- Group 4: Experimental Sciences: Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- Group 5: Mathematics: Mathematical Studies, Mathematics Standard Level or Mathematics Higher Level.
- Group 6: The Arts and Electives: Visual Arts, a second science or a second Individuals and Societies course
Subjects can be taken either at Standard Level (SL) or Higher Level (HL). Three of their six subjects are taken at Higher Level (HL). There are also three additional components – Theory of Knowledge (TOK); Community, Activity, Service (CAS); and a significant piece of independent research entitled the Extended Essay (EE). If you would like to find out more about the IB programme, contact our IB coordinator, Mrs Mindorff (Michele.Mindorff@lis-chengdu.com)
High academic level:
- Focus on students’ approaches to learning and resilience skills
- Focus on higher order thinking, problem solving and inquiry skills
- Focus on values clarification
What admissions officers from top US universities say about IB Diploma Programmes?
Many students find the Diploma Programme (DP) to be both a challenge that takes them outside their comfort zone and one of the most valuable experiences they have ever had. In this new video testimonial, university admissions staff describe DP graduates as being enthusiastic, curious, well organized, engaged and able to face challenges head on.
More than being academically ready for university studies, DP graduates are equipped with the skills required to overcome the uncertainties of the 21st century and succeed in a rapidly changing global setting.
Request More Information
If you would like to learn more about visiting our campus or about apply to Léman International School, please Request More Information or see our Admissions page.