Things to do in Qatar
There are a a number of cultural and historical sites and events of interest in Qatar and Doha:
- Important Historic Castles: Doha Castle (Alkoot), Alzubara Casle Alwajba Castle, Um Sala Mohamed Castle, Alyousofia and Alshaqab Castle.
- Historic Museums: Museum of Islamic (MIA), Qatar National Museum, Arms Museum (regional), Alkhor Museum (regional), Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al-Thani Group Museum, Arabic Art Museum.
- Important Cultural Complexes: Waqif Art Centre, University of Virginia Common Wealth in Qatar Art Gallery.
- Important Cultural Groups: The Valley of Culture (Katara), Souq Waqif, Cultural Village, Alfannar Cultural Mosque and Centre.
- Important Cultural Festivals: Doha Festival, Qatar Marine Festival, Aljazera registered Film International Festival, Tripika Cinema Festival and Doha Creativity Festival and Freedom.
New to Qatar, unfamiliar with the roads or without a practical 4x4 at the ready then there are plenty of tour companies that organise group trips to the desert. Regency Travel and Tours, in particular, offers a full day desert safari with dune bashing, a trip to the Inland Sea, sand boarding, entertainment and an Arabic buffet, among other things.
4434 4444, regencyholidays.com
Boat and yacht rentals
At their base in Lusail Marina, Doha Yachting offers a range of six boats and yachts to rent for between six and 16 guests, plus one captain. Prices range from QR600 to QR2,200 per hour depending on the size of boat you choose, as well as the extras such as life jackets, towels, beverages and fishing equipment. If you give a day’s notice as well they can provide a dinner cruise.
3000 4499, dohayachting.com
Swarming with people in and out of the alleys this maket dates back hundreads of years, recently rebuilt in traditional architectural styles, this is considered one of the top tourist attractions within Doha. Renowned for selling traditional garments, spices, souvenirs and many other trinket. Packed with busy restaurants serving cuisines from all over the world along with shisha lounges. Recently Souq Waqif has hosted serveral art galleries, workshops,events and opened a few boutique hotels.
Built over the expanse of 50,000sq.meters, Aqua Park features 15 exhilarating ingredients to ride-slide, splish-splash and sleep-relax your day through an adrenaline rush! Priced between QR100-160, which includes access to the park’s 15 rides.
Opening times vary. Aqua Park Qatar, www.aquaparkqatar.com (4490 5872).