I enjoyed meeting so many of you during the Meet the Teacher presentations this week. The turnout was high and the feedback, on our exciting new initiatives, positive. I would like to summarise some of the BIS initiatives which relate specifically to Primary:
- Communication: in addition to our whole school BIS App, we will be starting our new class blogs through Edublog within the next week
- Our new Primary Diaries include sections for reflection and question prompts to use when reading. Parents are encouraged to use these when working with their children at home.
- Curriculum changes include Beginners Vietnamese
- Our aim to improve the quality of spoken English will incorporate a whole school approach to Talk for Writing this year
- Maths extension classes have been created across Year 4, 5 and 6
- A new music curriculum, designed by Juilliard School, will be implemented this year from Year 1 upwards. The launch will be on September 30th and parents are invited.
Enhancing our aim to become more international and become true ‘global citizens working together’, we encourage parents and students to access the Global Campus, which is easily accessible through our BIS Website. Students have logins for the Global Campus and can take part in global competitions.
On the subject of Nord Anglia, Norman the Bear flew into Hanoi last week and is enjoying his very quick visit to BIS. Norman is from Hong Kong and has been travelling around Nord Anglia schools since 2015 therefore he is a true global citizen; he has recently visited a school in Doha, Qatar, and will be flying off to Mexico next week. Children have enjoyed sharing their learning with Norman and introducing him to life in Vietnam. He has already had a lesson on how to ride a motorbike and tasted Vietnamese food at Ca Cha. It has been fun to learn from Norman too as he carries a travel bag of items he has collected on his travel.
I am confident that, by working together and being ambitious, we can exceed all our expectations this year.
Ms Sue Hill, Head of Primary
Congratulations to our fine diners this week:
- Hoang Lan 2I
- Thuy Duong 2I
- Jae Eun 2I
- Sophia 2I
- Ha Eun 4S
- Dong Gyu 4S