Be ambitious and win the bear!
Last year, the school fête was on the edge of being pulled from the schedule. It was saved when one voice was raised and said, “We can do it!” This year the group was super confident until another voice was raised and said, “Ok, but how can we make it even better? What will we bring for more excitement?” For a few seconds the room became silent. Yes, how could we “beat” last year? Within the next hour, a lot of ideas popped up and the “Be ambitious” motto of BIS HCMC became the group’s motto, too.
Another challenge that the group faced was the proximity of the Têt holidays to the date of the TX fête. In January and the beginning of February all attempts to make contact with sponsors failed. Têt was in everyone’s mind and the group had to wait. Two days after school re-opened, the first official meeting for preparing the school fête was on.
This year also, the Fête became even bigger because we were given the green light to collect as much sponsorship as possible. We had a lot of positive answers and for this we would like to give special thanks to four companies who trusted and supported us beyond our expectations:
- Nhakhoakim Dental
- Na Man Retreat
- Holiday One
- Air France
TX school fête in numbers
- 4 meetings (5 if we include the briefing in the foyer the day before the fête!)
- 6 teams leaders to organise the games, craft activities, the performances, the café, the volunteers and the raffle
- 2 community service project leaders; one for the TX bears and one for liaising with Community Service and hosting a group from PDV children during the Fête
- 20 children and 2 teachers from PDV joining the fête
- 8 house captains and their teachers for organising a set of games
- 1 super Mr Jon who had the whole school concert the same week but also did an amazing job both in preparation for the fête and during the fête
- 1 hour show including a costume contest, PDV performance, MP1 choir, ballet, K-pop, taekwondo, musicians and more
- 1 amazing and famous singer, Ms Dona Amelia
- Around 80 volunteers during the day of the fête including Teachers and TAs who came to help in their free time (another big “Thank you” to them)
- 1650 raffle tickets sold
- Around 5000 tokens sold
- More than 300 raffle prizes given by generous sponsors
- 5 items for the silent auction including a full treatment at Nhakhoakim Dental, Hotel nights from Naman Retreat, Air France round trip ticket (Saigon/Paris), a beautiful dress from Quynh Paris and a voucher from Vespa Tour.
- Around 134,000,000VND donated by several Parents
- Last, but not least, the impressive amount of 122,033,000VND raised which will benefit all our community service partners.
We would have not achieved it without your involvement and generosity.
TX School Fête: What are we proud of?
We of course had some road bumps along the way and last minute challenges. Among them we’ll remember; designing raffle tickets from A to Z; looking for a free giant teddy bear after one sponsor withdrew their offer 48 hours before the fête; receiving the new sponsor’s bear less than 15 hours before opening the Fête ; running around for table cloths and struggling with the raffle. We have learnt a lot about preparation for such a large event. We have reinforced friendships and created new bonds. We have (probably) made mistakes, however on the Fête day, we saw happy faces and for that, it was worth the time and effort. We are especially super happy and proud that PDV children were able to join in and enjoy the fête along with their TX partners.
TX School Fête: After the Event
Ms Clover our community service project leader will now take the lead on allocating the funds to the different community partners, assessing each of their needs. Once Clover has done this, she will make a proposal for the Tu Xuong Parent Group to agree on. This year the purchases will also kindly be carried out by the community service and purchasing departments. In Term 3 we will begin to visit our community partners and deliver the items that they have wished for. So be ready to join and sign up when the schedule is announced!
TX School Fête: A Big “Thank you” List
Nhakhoikim Dental, Na Man Retreat, Holiday One and Air France, thank you for making a difference and bringing excitement to the Fête.
- All of the sponsors
- Dona Amelia for joining and singing beautifully.
- Poussière de Vie children and teachers for performing for us.
- All team and project leaders; you’ve done an amazing job!
- Mr Ian, for trusting us and Ms Mary for being with us along the way.
- Mr Jon for helping with the performance.
- Ms Oanh, for your patience and support before, during and after the Fête.
- Y6 students and their teachers for the 4 great, fun games that they prepared and ran on the day.
- All volunteers for the time given during the raffle ticket sales and during the fête.
- All teachers, teaching assistants and staff for jumping in and helping out last Saturday.
- APS for supporting us in selling the raffle tickets and advertising the fête.
- APS PTG for always helping us with our queries and giving us advice.
- APP for running the pop-up store during the fête so TX parents and visitors could learn more about the “re-used project”.
Four photo albums and 3 videos are available here :
Have a lovely weekend,
Anne on behalf of the Parent Group