Michael Waterhouse (Primary Deputy Head) January 30th 2015
I have been involved in visits outside school a few times over the last few months and I have been impressed with how well behaved the children are, and how tidy they look. The school uniform is a symbol of our school and I see many children wearing it with pride. I have noticed, however, one or two students letting the standard slip so I thought a reminder would be in order. Inside the school it has several functions:
- It provides hard-wearing clothing that not only keeps the children warm but is easy to work in. They are safe and practical for wearing in all of the key learning areas we develop.
- As the children put on their uniform they psychologically prepare themselves for work or study. This sounds an extravagant boast but imagine their mind-set as they get dressed in party clothes, or street clothes, it is definitely different.
- Wearing the school uniform takes the competition out of what to wear. Given the opportunity to wear whatever they like the children try to impress each other with their favourite outfits. We know this is true as we have “free dress” days now and then, and we have great fun, but the competition to wear top fashion would become very upsetting and expensive for both children and parents. So, the school uniform promotes equality amongst the students.
- Wearing the school uniform is a symbol of the respect and pride all students feel about their school.
The Primary School Uniform
The Primary school uniform is very simple, and therefore easy to obtain:
- Black Shoes: Shoes should have no writing or markings on them at all.
- Grey Trousers, or grey skirt if some girls prefer it: Trousers need to be straight legged, which means they should not be skin tight, or resemble leggings. If girls choose to wear a school skirt they should not be tight fitting, and should be knee length.
- Girls tights: These should be black or grey.
- Royal Blue Jumper or Cardigan: With the school emblem on it.
Information on ordering School Jumpers/Cardigan with Emblem, Book Bags, Hooded Jackets are available from the School Office.