Planning to apply for a Sixth Form place at Regents starting in September 2015? The Sixth Form initiatives outlined here will be presented to applicants at the school’s Open House on Monday 26 January. For more information on the Open house, contact the Head of Admissions, Dr Tim Eaton here.
In the festive season, with news stories abounding of carol concerts, class parties and Christmas fairs, it’s easy to lose sight of how much hard work and commitment our Year 13 IB students are showing at this time of the year. Our senior students devoted the last few days of term to sitting ‘mock’ exams, in preparation for the real thing later in the year.
The intensity of Term 1 of Year 13 is revealed on the school’s website, which now includes a series of pages dedicated to Sixth Form study. In addition to mock exams, lessons, independent study, conferences, excursions and co-curricular activities, students completed their 4,000 word extended essays – and then had to deliver verbal presentations on their chosen research topics to senior staff and fellow students. Dissertations covered this year included: To what extent does the pH of soil affect papaya production in Pattaya? An investigation into Mark Rothko’s “Orange, Red and Yellow”: Why does it cost $87,000,000? And To what extent is perfectionism detrimental to the performance of elite athletes?
Our students’ Diploma results and university destinations have improved markedly over the last few years and it’s worth reflecting on the causes:
- The creation of a large and specialist Sixth Form teaching and pastoral team, led by an IB Diploma-veteran recruited over the summer from one of the outstanding international schools of Europe
- The introduction of SAT examination classes for those students preparing for university in North America
- Improvements to our university guidance practices which, amongst other things, has led to an increase in the number of overseas universities travelling to Regents to meet our students
- Significant investment in an IB Centre for Sixth Form students, including an independent study space and conference and seminar room
- The introduction of RISE (Regents International Study and English programme) – the only one-year IB Diploma foundation course of its kind for non-native English speakers
The commitment to supporting Regents’ senior students to achieve highly shows no sign of relenting in 2015, with our new university guidance initiative, Thinking Futures, due to be unveiled in January. The school will also be developing into the Eastern Seaboard’s only test centre for the Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT) and Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), both required for entry to courses at many of the UK’s top universities.
These Sixth Form initiatives will be presented to students applying for Sixth Form places starting in September 2015 at the schoo'sl Open House on Monday 26 January 2015. For more information on the Open house, contact the Head of Admissions, Dr Tim Eaton here.