Over the course of the week, the whole school participated in different Maths activities designed to challenge their thinking and develop their maths problem solving skills.
These activities included:
1) Learning about famous mathematicians and mathematical concepts.
2) Raising money for Qing Pu Xiulong Migrant School.
3) An interschool collaboration opportunity, in which classes in Key Stage 2 were partnered with another class from another school so that they may share their solutions to a mathematical problem. Children creating 3D mathematical signs and shapes using 1 yuan coins.
4) Solving a pyrotechnic challenge.
5) Bake Sale; Comparing, estimating and measuring the size of dinosaur feet.
6) A mental maths challenge for children to try to beat their previous score.
7) An opportunity for children to compete against the teachers.
8) A hands on "Estimation Corner".
9) An interclass collaboration opportunity, in which each class was partnered with another so that they may teach each other a mathematical concept.
10) A "Design a Maths Hat" activity.
Here are the thoughts of some of our children:
“I enjoyed working with the younger children in Year 2. It was really nice to be the person who had the knowledge to help.” Iwan 6I “I liked estimating and measuring the size of dinosaur feet.” Akhilan 3B
“I enjoyed learning how to crack a code.” Natalie 3S “I enjoyed drawing 3D cubes on isometric paper.” Yuri 3S “I enjoyed learning about different Math experts from around the world.” Bettie 3S
Everyone is already looking forward to the next Maths week.
Andrew Foster, Mathematics Curriculum Leader