Homework will be given out on Wednesdays and expected in on Mondays. For these first two weeks, homework is optional and entries can be brought in any time before Wednesday 9 September.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- There will be a New KS2 Parents’ Literacy and Maths Workshop on Tuesday 8 September from 8:45 – 9:30am.
- There will be a New KS2 Parents’ Themed Learning Workshop on Wednesday 16 September from 8:45 – 9:30am.
- Library Extended Opening Hours: From Monday September 14 the library will be open on Mondays and Tuesdays from 3:30 to 4:30pm for parents to borrow books. Parents register directly with the librarian and are allowed up to five books for a 2 week loan period. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- ECA and BISCAP confirmation letters will be sent out during the week beginning 7 September. Both programmes will begin on Monday 14 September.
- Parent Helpers: We are always grateful for parents who are willing to come in to help read with children, help in the Dinner Hall, make resources etc. Please let your class teacher know if you are available.
- If for any reason your child is unable to take part in PE, please send a signed message in your child’s communication book. Your child still needs to bring in their PE kit to enable them to participate as a coach, an official or to give feedback. If your child would be swimming, they should bring their normal PE kit.
In Literacy this week, the children will be starting to look at information texts. They will initially investigate the features of fiction and non-fiction, followed by retrieving information. Using their experience of information retrieval, they will think about the content of a paragraph to create appropriate sub-headings and then collect further information. By the end of the week, the children will create their own short paragraphs about an artist.
In Maths, the children are working collaboratively on a project Maths Eyes project. They will be investigating the world around them and taking photographs. They will then work on creating questions for others to answer. This will be part of an interactive display in the Year 3 corridor.
This week our main topic, “Painting, Pictures and Photographs”, begins. The children will be starting off with a small square of a famous painting. Their task will be to investigate the piece on its own and then put together the puzzle by finding other members of their team. The children will then become the artists, drawing and painting their piece of the picture. Finally they will collaboratively put it together to create a montage of a famous painting.
The children will be developing their team work and collaboration skills through group projects in Maths and Themed Learning.
Literacy – poem information, non-fiction, fiction, features, heading, sub-heading, title, sub-title, diagram, paragraph, contents, index, glossary, key word
Maths – question, problem, solve, maths eyes, shape, number, calculation
Humanities – art, colour, shapes, lines, pattern, sketch, compare, contrast, montage, collaborative
In de ‘Languages’ gang herkent u het Nederlandse klaslokaal direct aan Maxima en Willem-Alexander op de fiets door een Hollands, Belgisch landschap, compleet met molen en frietkot, begeleid door teksten van leerlingen beginnend met:
‘Denkend aan Holland zie ik.... ‘ en ‘Hoge bomen, blijde stromen, duin en zee, en berg en dal; werklijkheid der zoetste dromen: België, België bovenal!’
Het thema ‘De Brief voor de Koning’ gestart, waarin we, naast het behandelen van het boek van Tonke Dragt en de daarop gebaseerde film, brieven zullen schrijven aan het Nederlandse koningspaar. Ze komen in oktober op bezoek en wij willen ze dolgraag ontmoeten. Kunnen we ze met onze brieven overtuigen een bezoek te brengen aan SDS?
We will be welcoming students to the class and will be doing activities to get to know the students. We will start properly next week with the newsletter.
Next week we are continuing to work on class routines, getting to know the children and starting on our courses.