A warm welcome back to school for all new and existing students. We have had an exciting first week in Year 5 and are looking forward enabling all the children to thrive and achieve throughout the year.
- Homework will be given out on Wednesdays and expected in on Mondays. For these first two weeks, homework is optional and entries can be brought in any time before Wednesday 9 September.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather. PE kit should also be clearly labelled.
- Monday 31 August – Meet the Teacher Session.
- There will be a New KS2 Parents’ Literacy and Maths Workshop on Tuesday 8 September from 8:45 – 9:30am.
- ECA and BISCAP registration closes on Friday 28 August and confirmation letters will be sent out during the week beginning 7 September. Both programmes will begin on Monday 14 September.
- BISS Uniform Sale - Wednesday 2 September 2:30-5pm The Gallery (Primary)
Parents have the chance to buy quality “used” BISS uniform at another of our Recycle Sales. All items are in good condition and can be bought for the bargain price of 5 rmb per item. All proceeds will be donated to one of our school charity projects. Bring change and your own bag!
- Uniform Collection - We are sure that most families have several items of unwanted BISS uniform at home that you would be happy to get rid of; perhaps your children have outgrown them, have moved up to Secondary, or are moving school. Please donate these items to our Uniform Sale! All items can be dropped into the collection boxes at Primary and Secondary Reception areas throughout this and next week.All items need to be clean and in good condition.
This week in Literacy students will write descriptions based on the theme of ‘abandonment’. They will look at a variety of striking images that show derelict and abandoned places. The children will develop their knowledge of interesting vocabulary. This work will link to our Themed Learning topic, Building a Village. The children will have the opportunity to wonder how these places became abandoned and what a village needs to survive to prevent this from happening!
In Maths the children will be completing a variety of activities which will include number calculations using all four operations, handling data and problem solving. Students will have an opportunity to draw and interpret different types of graphs and will begin to explain their choice of the most suitable graphical presentations.
‘Building a Village’
Overview: During this topic the children will become village designers. Throughout the term, children will complete a mini building project and design and build their own village. During Humanities lessons children will research how settlements develop and what features are necessary for them to become sustainable. During Art lessons, they will design different settlements in groups to create a 3D model based on their design. In Science, children will look at the water cycle and the importance of growing food to sustain the needs of a village.
This week, as an introduction, we will be focusing on the society aspects of a village and will examine what it means to work as a team and experience how to successfully work with others. The children will discuss what things are important for a settlement to thrive and be successful. Using maps, the children will choose the best location to start a village and give reasons for their answers.
In PSHCE this term we will be looking at teamwork and collaborative working. We will focus further on fostering new relationships, creating rules and expectations for the group and how to work together successfully.
Literacy – setting, abandonment, vocabulary, descriptions, adverbs, adjectives
Maths – addition, subtraction, difference, multiplication, division, graphs, data
Themed learning – collaboration, team work, preparation, decision making, settlements, needs, society