- ECA and BISCAP programmes will begin on Monday 14 September.
- Library Extended Opening Hours: From Monday September 14 the library will be open on Mondays and Tuesdays from 3:30 to 4:30pm for parents to borrow books. Parents register directly with the librarian and are allowed up to five books for a 2 week loan period. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- For safety during PE, we ask that for Year 5 and 6 football lessons, students wear shin pads, long socks, football boots, astro trainers or trainers with a leather upper shell. For Year 5 and 6 rugby lessons, it is also advised that students wear a gum shield. The gum shields are available from the uniform shop.
- You will receive your child’s iPad this week in an unopened box. For your reference, the children will be instructed not to open them until they get home and they can be opened under your supervision.
- CHINESE PROFICIENCY TESTS (HSK & YCT) IN 2015-16
- BISS PUXI will be offering two opportunities to take the HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) this academic year – in November 2015 and in March/ May 2016. We will also be offering the YCT (Youth Chinese Test) in March / May 2016. We are running the first HSK examination on Saturday 14th November 2015. Registration is now open to parents, primary and secondary students, and friends who have an interest in taking this test. If you wish to register for the HSK examination, please submit your entry form and full payment by Tuesday 13th October 2015. Please click http://img.nordangliaeducation.com/resources/asia/_filecache/a7d/d7d/28504-hsk-yct-letter_10_09_2015.pdf to access the forms. Students will also be given copies of the letters in their Mandarin lessons. Please return all required documentation and cash payment (exact amount) in a sealed envelope clearly marked HSK Test and with your child’s name. This should be submitted to the Uniform Shop in the Primary Parents Hub. Full documentation and payment must be received by Tuesday 13th October 2015. The second round of HSK examinations will take place in March/ April 2016 and we would encourage students in Year 7-10 to take the examination. We will hold the YCT and a further HSK exam at a weekend during May for parents, friends and students. For any further information or application forms, please contact Ms Xie on email@example.com
This week in Literacy students will continue to learn about information texts. The children will read texts about important leaders in history. This will link to our themed learning unit about villages and why it is important for a community to have a good leader. They will practice the important reading skills of skimming and scanning for key pieces of information. The children will then organise this information and summarise it by making a information page about a key historical leader.
We will be focusing on number work this week. The children will be learning and reviewing the standard column method for addition and subtraction. (A step by step explanation sheet will be sent with homework showing the method we teach in school) To further their knowledge and understanding, we will be working with a range of addition problems, focusing on the ‘Working backwards’ method. For mental maths, we will be practising adding and subtracting numbers mentally with increasingly large numbers and number bonds of 100.
‘Building a Village’
This week, the children will continue to experience using maps in a variety of ways. They will compare maps of different settlements and describe how they are different. The children will also explore how different climates can affect land use. The children will continue to look at the features of maps and aplly what they have learned by creating a detailed map of their own.
In PSHCE this term we will be looking at teamwork and collaborative working. We will focus further on fostering new relationships, creating rules and expectations for the group and how to work together successfully.
Literacy – skimming, scanning, key information, toic vocabularly , headings, sub-headings, structure and layout
Maths – working backwards, addition, subtraction, standard column method, number bonds to 100.
Themed learning – scales on maps, key, land use, agriculture, residential, commercial, services, industrial.
Year 5 French - Miss Rae
This week in French we began our unit on ‘Transport.’’ We talked about forms of transport and places people had been and what modes of transport, they used to get there. Homework this week: Complete the word search about modes of transport.
Next week in French we will be continuing with our transport unit, focusing on planning a trip to France and buying tickets at a station.
Year 5/6 Spanish - Ms Ormond
Next week the students will learn/review how to reply to the question ¿Qué tal?, learn how to write and say 11 colours, as well as, begin to recognise and pronounce the sounds of Spanish accurately.
Homework: Oral practice and understanding. Students will memorize these phrases, questions and their answers in preparation for next class. Hola, Buenos días, Adiós, ¿Cómo te llamas?, Me llamo....
Het schrijven van brieven is begonnen, zowel formele brieven als informele brieven. Weet u wat de officiële aanhef van een brief aan de koning is?
Het eerste huiswerk is meegegeven. De accounts van Nieuwsbegrip en Bloon worden zo snel mogelijk geupdate. We liepen tegen wat administratieve probleempjes aan. Mocht het deze week niet lukken, dan is dat geen probleem. Richt u dan vooral op het begeleiden van het leeshuiswerk. De Estafette technisch lezen mappen worden volgende week weer in orde gemaakt.
Een heel fijn weekend gewenst!
We will practice the sentence pattern and finish the text of lesson 1.
Homework: Practise the ‘New Words’ of Lesson 1.
Key Words: 8 Basic Strokes---heng; shu; pie; na; dian; ti; gou; zhe
Homework: worksheet on radicals and revision of Pinyin
Topic: Countries, Languages
Key words: 去过quguo/have been to; 语言yuyan/language; 国家guojia/country; 会hui/can, may; 说shuo/speak
Homework: To find the countries that your friends have been to
Topic: Lesson 1 Pin yin/Numbers
This week we will be introducing the Pinyin and Numbers to our students.
Homework: Worksheet of Lesson2.