This week is Book Week! We are looking forward to seeing some Weird and Wonderful costumes on dress up day on Friday. Children should come to school in their costumes.
- Security - Our new security system is still at the trial stage. Adults only should use the glass gates to enter and exit the school; children should use the metal gates to the side. If you are concerned that your child is young and you want to be with them then please accompany them through the metal gates. Thank you for your support.
- After School Contact System - New information about this has been added to the website to help at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/after-school-contact-system. Please ensure that your child’s class teacher is aware of any changes to regular going home arrangements early in the day by writing details in your child’s Communication Book.
- Uniform: Now that it is colder in the mornings please remember that children should not be wearing leggings, boots or hoodies. They should be wearing school jumpers/cardigans/fleeces and not, non-uniform versions. Information is available in the Primary Parent Handbook on the website.
- Book Fair: This year the Book Fair, where you can buy books, will take place in school from Thursday 19-Saturday 21 November. More information to follow.
- Visiting Poet: Nick Tozeck will be working with children on Monday 9-Tuesday 10 November.
This week the children will be looking at at ‘Weird and Wonderful’ Stories. In particular we will be reading the Balaclava Story by George Layton. The children will be thinking carefully about the important elements that make up a weird and wonderful story. The children will also listen to a story that the Year 5 and 6 teachers will perform during our assembly. They will need to recall this story in their own words using the ten weird and wonderful events that took place. Throughout the week we will refine and edit this story to make a final finished version for our Book Week display.
This week in Maths we will turn our attention to Shape. Our discussions and class work will revolve around 2 and 3 dimensional shapes, both regular and irregular. Children will investigate properties and terminology and develop their understanding of shape measurements. Towards the end of the week will will begin our work with nets and finish our learning journey through an investigation focusing on calculating the volume of a 3D shape from it’s net alone.
‘Building a Village’
This week we will begin to document the different stages of our models. We will collect all the photographs of our model villages and start to put them together to make a video showing the different steps in the process. We will also continue to add details to our models by adding the village houses, farms, vegetation and transport routes. In Science, we will look at micro-organisms and how these play an important role in village life. In particular we will look at yeast which is a helpful micro-organism that can be used to provide food for village life.
This week we will discuss the topic of leadership. We will think about why villages or cities might need a leader and what skills and qualities this person may need. We will also look at examples of famous leaders from history and think about what leadership skills we could develop within school.
Literacy – characters, settings, weird, wonderful, strange, surprise endings, unexpected
Maths – dimension, net, shape, regular, irregular
Themed learning –village styles, landscape, news report, village life, weather
Dames en Heren, Hooggeëerd publiek...!
We richten ons de komende week op het circussmoelenboek, waarin alle circusberoepen de revue passeren. Ook werken we aan de individuele circusact. We maken een gedetailleerde beschrijving van de act en oefenen de act in.
We lezen in de klas uit het boek De dikke bende van de Korenwolf en de vondst van het stiekeme circus.
Kijk voor inspiratie én instructie (acrobaten, jongleurs) het volgende filmpje van Ketnet over een circusshow: Ketnet
Denkt u op maandag (Y3 , Y5, Y6) of donderdag (Y4) aan het biebboek en de Estafettemap? Voor Year 4 hebben we de dag veranderd. Dit kwam beter uit in de planning.
Volgende week maandag en dinsdag zullen er wat lessen vervangen worden door andere docenten van BISS Puxi i.v.m. de inspectie. Dank voor uw begrip!
Een heel fijn weekend!
Key words: ……的时候……; ……是……的；别……
Homework: Copy the words and practise the sentence patterns on text 2 of lesson 2
Topic: Lesson 12 Eating Out
Key Words: 钱qian/money；买mai/buy；卖mai/sell；一共yi gong/altogether；多少duo shao/how much；用yong/use
Homework: Worksheet of the topic of Lesson 12
Topic: Lesson 2 Subjects of Study-Text 2
The students will be able to describe the subjects they like / dislike.
Homework: Interview your friends
Topic: Lesson 5 Age-Continued
This week we start to learn the topic of age.
Homework: Practise the new words of lesson 5.
Year 5 French - Miss Rae
This week in French, we will be continuing our unit on Film, based on Ratatouille. We will begin to look at key vocabulary to do with cooking, focusing on utensils and names of food.
Homework this week is to describe the characters we have met in the film and use at least one adjective in the description.
Year 5 Spanish Ms Ormond
This week the students will learn about different instruments and different types of music. They will practise giving their opinions about what they like and do no like "me gusta/no me gusta" and learn how to explain their oipinions using "porque es".
This week homework: Dictionary practice sheets
Year 5/6 French - Ms Caldwell
This week the children will be talking about their family and applying some of their previous learning to begin to describe them.
Homework will be to create a profile of a family member.