Assessment sessions will be held throughout the academic year for Year 1 to Year 12. Play sessions for Nursery & Foundations Stage 2 are a mandatory step in the admissions process for all students currently in the UAE.
Step 1 – Submit Your Application and Supporting Documentation
To apply for admission to The British International School, Abu Dhabi, we require:
- A completed online Application Form. Please click here to complete the online application.
- Whilst completing the application you will be requested to upload the following documents;
- Student’s birth certificate
- Student’s passport
- Student’s most recent school/nursery report
- Health and/or psychological reports (for students with medical issues and Special Educational Needs)
Your application will be reviewed and you will receive a written response via email from the admissions office as to the status of your application and the next steps. Students applying to the school may be required to sit an assessment to gauge their level of English, additional learning needs, or to help decide which year level will be most appropriate.
All documents must be in English or Arabic. Documents in other languages must be translated into English in the UAE by an approved legal translation office. A copy of both the original and translation must be provided. Where applicable, original documents are required before a student starts school.
The school reserves the right to decline any application.
Step 2 – Accept Your Offer
If successful, you will be sent an Offer of Enrolment via email. To secure your offer, a non-refundable deposit is required by the given deadline.
Offers are contingent upon the completion of all outstanding documentation before the start of school. Please scan and email the transfer letters for review by Admissions as soon as you receive them from your previous school.
In the case of Foundations Stage 1 (Nursery) & Foundations Stage 2 offers please note that your child must be toilet trained before the start of school.
When an offer has been made we require these documents before the start of school:
- Original Transfer Letter from student’s previous school (if overseas) issued at the end of their attendance at that school. This must be issued on school letterhead and signed and stamped by the school and is only required when the student has been offered a place. For students transferring from schools within the Emirates (with the exception of Abu Dhabi), an original Student Leaving Certificate is required.
- Photocopy of Emirates ID cards and residency visas for sponsoring parent/guardian and student(s). If the residency visas and Emirates ID cards are still being processed at the time of application, please submit either copies of the registration forms or a letter from your company to confirm that the applications have been made.
- Additionally, the student's and both parents' Emirates ID cards must be scanned through the Ministry of Education scanning system in the Admissions Office in school.
- Students enrolled in a school within Abu Dhabi need to be transferred online via ESIS (Ministry of Education's online system) by their previous school using our ESIS number 9190.
- Parents' / legal guardian’s residency visas if already issued or Family Book (for UAE Nationals only)
- Two (2) recent passport size photographs for each student (JPEG files)
- Vaccination record for student
- Parents/ legal guardian's passport
Once your application has been accepted and registration/deposit paid, you will receive an invoice for tuition fees. Fees may be paid for the full year or on a termly basis.
You can then - purchase your uniforms, request bus services (optional), purchase lunch vouchers (optional) and get ready for your first day of school.
Step 3 – Attestation Requirements
The Ministry of Education requires specific supporting documentation to be attested to legally register all students in Abu Dhabi. The information below details exactly what you will need.
Birth certificates, school reports and transfer letters issued from the USA, Australia, Canada and Europe do not need attestation. (some European countries require attestation see the document below).
Only original transfer letters will be accepted. We may also require the original school reports but will confirm on a case by case basis.
For school reports and transfer letters issued from the GCC, Africa, Asia, Europe or South America (some European countries do not require attestation see the document below).:
- Obtain attestation from the Ministry of Education in the country where the student studied
- Obtain attestation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country where the student studied
- Obtain attestation from the UAE Embassy in the country where the student studied or the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE
For birth certificates from the GCC, Africa, Asia, South America or Europe (some European countries do not require attestation see the document below).
- Obtain attestation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the birth country
- Obtain attestation from the UAE Embassy in the birth country or the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE.
Ministry of Education rules are subject to change without notice; therefore we ask for your support, should you be required to submit additional documentation.