'My Hidden Chimp' Book
You may have heard about the book 'My Hidden Chimp' by Professor Steve Peters. It is an effective and powerful educational book to share with your child, full of colourful illustrations and excellent strategies on how to help children to develop healthy habits for life.
Mindfulness helps in so many ways. Practicing mindfulness enables us to develop a greater acceptance of troublesome thoughts and emotions; it enhances our memory, concentration and cognitive ability; it has proven to dramatically reduce levels of stress and anxiety and improves one’s ability to fall asleep at night. You can try these activities with your child:
- Ask your child to sit or stand in a comfortable position and explain that you will be doing some singing breathing with the vowels of the alphabet (A,E,I,O,U).
- Ask your child to take a deep breath in and as they breathr out, they are going to exhale all of the air out of their lungs by using the letters, starting with A – they will keep saying A until all of the air is out of their lungs.
- You can repeat this process with the other vowels.
The Shoulder Shrug
- Ask your child to sit or stand in a comfortable position.
- Ask them to breathe in and lift their shoulders towards their ears. Ask them to hold this position.
- They are then going to breathe out with a big sigh and release their shoulders.
- Repeat three times.
Need-to-know: how to set boundaries and build positive relationships
Balancing the various demands parents have to cope with isn't easy, and all parents can come under pressure or stress from time to time. The NSPCC have published a guide that shares practical advice and tips for positive parenting techniques that work well for children - from babies to teenagers. These techniques encourage better behaviour and help parents find out what works for them and their child. To download the guide or if you require any further information, please click here.
If you would like further information on the above or would like to hear about other resources, please contact the counselling team at email@example.com
BIS Counselling Team