At St Andrews, we pride ourselves on being an inclusive school, and have an excellent reputation for supporting children with special educational needs. Experience of teaching children with dyslexia, autism, ADHD etc. would be very good prior experience for a teacher wishing to join our team.
The successful candidate will be a qualified Special Educational Needs teacher with a Bachelor’s Degree in the appropriate field and minimum 2 years’ experience, who would be responsible for providing individual support to pupils with learning disabilities which prevent them from accessing mainstream education.
The work as SEN teacher at St Andrews is varied and challenging and the successful candidate will show:
- Commitment to working with children with special education needs.
- An ability to work closely, sensitively and confidently with parents on a range of issues relating to a child’s progress and needs.
- A willingness to intervene when needed, sometimes physically, to ensure safety in the learning environment.
- An ability to coordinate with other professionals, such as speech and language therapists, physiotherapists and or educational psychologists.
- The flexibility to respond to the needs of the children and adapt or change plans accordingly.
- Experience in assessing learning disorders
- Proven effective classroom and students behaviour management skills
- Knowledge of current practice and methodologies
All classrooms have data projectors and access to the internet, and there is a strong commitment to integrating the teaching and use of ICT skills into all areas of the curriculum, where appropriate, with laptop carts, iPads and ICT labs bookable when required. As well as their teaching, all teachers are also expected to contribute positively to both the school’s pastoral systems and the extra-curricular programme, offering an Extra-Curricular Activity that either supports or extends the students’ learning in their subject area, or from another area of personal interest.
St Andrews is committed to ensuring the safety of all our students, and expects all staff to share the same commitment (see our Child Protection Code of Conduct). No teacher will be appointed without at least two references, including one from the most recent employer, a ten year criminal record check and relevant regional Prohibition Order/DBS checks.
If you would like to apply for a position at our school please complete the application process through Jobtrain, accessible via the Nord Anglia Education website.
If you require any further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com. The closing date for applications is Friday 12th January 2018, with applications being reviewed as they are received.