Pupils learn to appreciate different countries, cultures, communities and people. By making comparisons, they gain insight into their own culture and society.
The ability to understand and communicate in another language is a lifelong skill for education, employment and leisure in this country and throughout the world.
The study of languages at BCB includes:
- the spoken and written forms of the target language
- the interrelationship between sounds and writing in the target language
- the grammar of the target language and how to apply it
- a range of vocabulary and structures
- learning about different countries and cultures
- comparing pupils’ own experiences and perspectives with those of people in countries and communities where the target language is spoken
Portuguese at BCB has a communicative and active approach. Students learn to communicate through being given a range of tasks which link in with the National Curriculum Programme of Study. They will learn how to give and obtain information using the target language on a range of topic areas. Students will acquire knowledge and understanding of the target language, develop language skills, develop language learning skills and develop cultural awareness.