North Broward Prep currently participates in The McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities Program through the Florida Department of Education.
The McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities Program, originally created in 1999, provides scholarships for eligible students with disabilities to attend an eligible public or private school of their choice. Students with disabilities include K-12 students who are documented as having an intellectual disability; a speech or language impairment; a hearing impairment, including deafness; a visual impairment, including blindness; a dual sensory impairment; an orthopedic impairment, or other health impairment, an emotional or behavioral disability; a specific learning disability, including, but not limited to, dyslexia, dyscalculia, or developmental aphasia; a traumatic brain injury; a developmental delay; or autism spectrum disorder.
An eligible student with disabilities has several options available, including:
- Attendance at another public school within the district;
- Attendance at an eligible public school in an adjacent district that has space and provides the services identified in the student’s individual education plan or 504 accommodation plan; or
- Attendance at an eligible private, sectarian or nonsectarian, school
Any parent of a public school student with a disability who has an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 accommodation plan may receive a McKay Scholarship if the student meets the following requirements:
- The student has spent the prior school year in attendance at a Florida public school (the student was enrolled and reported by a Florida school district for funding during the preceding October and February FTE surveys in Pre-K through grade 12), or
- The student was enrolled and reported for funding by the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind during the preceding October and February student membership surveys in kindergarten through grade 12, or
- The student received services under the Specialized Instructional Services (SIS) program during the previous school year and has a current IEP developed by the local school board in accordance with State Board Rule or a 504 accommodation plan, or
- The student is a foster child or is a dependent child of a member of the United States Armed Forces who transfers to Florida from out of state due to a parent's permanent change of station orders, and
- The parent has notified the school district in a manner that creates a written or electronic record of the notification (this is done by filing intent on the School Choice website) at least 60 days prior to the date of the first scholarship payment, and
- The parent has obtained acceptance for admission of the student to a private school that is eligible for the program.
Newly Enrolled Students
For new students who have enrolled, you must file your intent with the Florida Department of Education. The deadline to file your intent is July 3, 2018 in order to receive the full McKay Scholarship payment for the 2018-2019 school year. Completing your intent after this date affects the amount you will be awarded. Once you have filed your intent, please complete this form in order to successfully be registered as a McKay Scholar at North Broward Prep. The Office of Admissions will be in touch with you once you have completed the form to request additional information necessary to successfully register your child as a McKay Scholar at North Broward Prep.
If you are unsure of your child’s eligibility for the McKay Scholarship, please visit the Florida Department of Education’s website.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 954.247.0179.