Each virtual secondary school day is an engaging one that brings every aspect of our curriculum to life, with plenty of opportunities for our oldest students to interact with their teachers and classmates. Our virtual school rigorously and holistically prepares our students for their exams, and a life beyond graduation, with bespoke guided study and dedicated support from our world-class teachers. Our blended learning approach includes innovative, interactive lessons, as well as collaborative and focused study time.
What can you expect?
A team of committed specialist teachers will deliver personalised lessons designed to keep students engaged with the teacher and motivated to learn more with their classmates, as well as foster their independence and confidence. Our online environment creates strong relationships in the classroom between teachers and students to make moving between off-screen and online activities seamless.
Our Secondary and Sixth Form (Years 7 – 13) virtual lessons include:
- Real-time lessons through a safe and secure platform
- Our students' full regular timetable each school day exactly as in physical school. This ensures that students maintain progress, but also provides the structure to build routines that are so crucial to learning. This includes all subjects including PE, performing arts and wellbeing
- Access to a range of carefully curated digital resources and eBooks from our Virtual Library
- A balance of online and offline learning delivered by world-class teachers
- Regular, personalised feedback and high-quality, interactive assignments
- Opportunities for collaboration in teams, as well as independent and focused study time to develop essential skills and nurture curiosity
- Participation in a range of activities with Nord Anglia students from all over the world through our Global Campus
- Exclusive learning experiences created by our partners The Juilliard School and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- One-to-one support from specialised teachers to students who require extra guidance
- Additional Co-Curricular Activities to enhance the core curriculum, and provide opportunities for students to broaden their interests and perspectives of the world.
How do we support our students?
Every student is a member of a tutor group led by a Form Tutor. This dedicated member of staff supports each student’s learning and wellbeing by
- Leading a tutor group session at 7.55am each morning
- Holding regular check-in with individuals or small groups of students
- Building social connections between tutor group members
Form Tutors also:
- Act as a point of contact for students and parents on any aspect of school life
- Monitor and support students’ engagement in learning
Individual Learning and Language Support
All students who benefit from EAL or Learning Support will have additional support from an individual specialist.
In order to develop the skills and awareness to be responsible for their own wellbeing, our students have a full range of activities and resources designed to keep their minds and bodies healthy while participating in the virtual school environment.
Designed by our student leaders, our BIS Wellbeing Website supports our whole student community increase their connection to school life and help our students form friendships. This support programme includes a 'buddy' system for our new students.
Advice, Support and Counselling Team
Our dedicated team of counselling professionals continue to support each student at BIS through online sessions during virtual learning periods.
All new students to BIS receive support from our Counselling and Student Support Team to ensure they feel comfortable and content about their transition to BIS life.
Learning Technology Support
Learning at BIS operates in a dynamic, technology-rich environment, which enables our students to move fluidly between a multitude of approaches to learning. Our Learning Technologies Team leads all new students through a Tech Induction, to ensure they can learn with confidence from day one. This team, as well as Student ‘Techsperts’ also provide ongoing support to all students and parents.