How does BISW decide to close on a normal student school day?
BISW will follow the guidance of the DCPS authorities concerning Snow and Inclement Weather. The school uses DCPS as its guideline but is aware that many members of its community live outside of DC and may be faced with different weather conditions.
How does DC decide to close?
The decision to delay or close school is a careful decision informed by a number of factors, including temperature and wind chill, levels of snow and ice, road conditions, the availability of public transit, and how these conditions are forecast to develop over the course of the day. The DC Mayor ultimately decides whether schools are open, delayed, or closed by reviewing the latest information. A decision is typically made between 4 - 5 am the morning of the delay or closure.
How are parents and students notified of school closings?
The best source of information is the DCPS twitter account (@dcpublicschools). Information will also be shared on the DCPS website (dcps.dc.gov), DCPS social media accounts, and local TV and radio stations.
BISW will also share information via email and on the BISW twitter account (@BISWashington) before 7 am.
What will a DC Public Schools 1-hour or 2-hour delay mean for BISW?
- BISW will aim to be fully open at 09:15 or 10:15 depending on the delay.
- Any before-school programs will be cancelled.
- We will have a reduced staff presence from 08:15 and will be available to care for students who need to be dropped off at the normal time. We will have an alternative school environment (mixed classes, etc), until all staff have been able to safely make their way to school.
- BISW will close at the regular time.
- When the opening of school has been delayed due to weather, afterschool programs may be cancelled, information will be sent later that morning to parents.
- For parents, students and staff that live further from the school, individuals are in the best position to determine their own safety of travel to the school. If there is a delay in attending, please contact the school via email.
What if inclement weather develops during the school day?
We open with the intention of remaining open for the full school day. Early dismissals are used only in extreme situations. The decision to cancel any extended day, afterschool program, or athletic event will come from the Principal. In such cases, BISW will inform families that afterschool programming is cancelled.
In the case of severe inclement weather, to ensure the safety of our staff and students we may move to an alternative school environment (mixed classes, etc) but the school will remain open to care for remaining students but with reduced staff numbers. BISW will inform parents, who will be able to pick up students early if required.
If individuals travel by bus and a 1-hour or 2-hour delay or inclement weather develops, our bus organizer will decide on each route and the local weather conditions and will inform families directly. Please note that routes will normally run with a delay.
When and how will school be made up?
We have 2 additional days already built into the school calendar, if we have 3 snow days or more, e-learning work will be sent home but no further make-up days will be arranged.