It is so good to see the former students and the cohort of new ones fitting in, learning the locations of lessons, understanding new material and adapting to life amongst new friends. It is amazing how quickly they have adjusted to new surroundings and systems.
We have had two great Orientation Days spoken about here by the Heads of Section and I warmly welcome our new Head of Secondary, Mr Nick Lee, who has made a very good start. Attending his first assembly, I can attest to the impact felt by the students under his leadership. These are exciting days with highly competent and motivated staff assisting your children on their way to university entrance anywhere in the world, cared for deeply by committed teachers in a vibrant educational setting.
This has without doubt been a very busy summer. Much work has been done to invest in the facilities both in and out of the classroom. The school continues to develop strongly and part of that is the constant development of facilities that set the school apart. If you have not already visited, do take time to see the Primary Building, newly opened this year for our young students. The Secondary and Early Years sections have also received much attention but obviously the priority has been getting the Primary section ready.
Just a sample of the new things offered this year are:
- ICT suites throughout the ages groups
- A wonderful new Library with new information research facilities
- Completion and equipping of the enormous Sports Hall
- Fitting out the more spacious classrooms facilities to aid learning
- A bespoke Drama room with new facilities for Media public speaking and performance, in advance of the new Juilliard Dance programme coming this year
- Common rooms for all Secondary students to have a quiet place for meeting or working
- New fully equipped Science laboratory for practical Science investigations
Throughout both sections
- Both sections have been fully equipped for the Juilliard Music programme beginning this year
- All weather playing surfaces for sports practice and fixtures
- Sunshading for outside play, regardless of the weather
- Repainting throughout to ensure the site is safe, clean and attractive for our students
- Dining facilities and catering have also been enhanced in both buildings
Clearly there is still more to be done. We never stand still. But with the improvements, coupled with the desire for excellence in teaching and learning, we are looking forward to a great year with your children.
As ever, we welcome feedback from you our parents through formal and more informal channels. I look forward to our greater collaboration as we seek to serve the academic and developmental interests of your children in this coming year.
I wish you a very happy holiday celebrating this annual Independence Day.
Mr Mark Sayer - Principal of BVIS Hanoi