Our school curriculum is designed to give your child a challenging education that will unlock their potential and prepare them for the world's best universities.
Your child will take courses based on the English National Curriculum, which is known across the world for its focus on high overall student performance.
As well as offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and the International Baccalaureate Career-related Certificate, the British International School of Houston provides students with the opportunity to pursue qualifications from the British education system, such as IGCSEs, GCSEs and BTECs
Benefits of the British Curriculum
- The British curriculum ensures that students receive a broad and balanced education, with a focus on core subjects such as English, Math, and Science that are crucial to your child's development
- The system promotes regular testing, enabling teachers to gauge a student's progress throughout their schooling, and address any gaps in their knowledge
- The British curriculum is respected around the world and provides access to the world's top universities
- The curriculum is also standardized, which means it is easier to adjust when transferring schools, and its scope of learning is largely consistent from place to place
- At Post-16 level, courses such as the IB Programme allow the student to pursue in-depth subjects in which they excel, and which focus on the knowledge that will be required in their chosen career
What is the British curriculum?
The National Curriculum is followed in primary and secondary schools in the UK and ensures that all students receive the same high standard of education.
The curriculum is divided into 'Early Years Foundation' and five 'Key Stages.' At the end of each Key Stage, students are tested on their progress.
||US Grade Equivalents
||3 - 5
||Nursery - Reception
|Key Stage 1
||5 - 7
||1 - 2
||Kindergarten - 1st
|Key Stage 2
||7 - 11
||3 - 6
||2nd - 5th
|Key Stage 3
||11 - 14
||7 - 9
||6th - 8th
|Key Stage 4
||14 - 16
||10 - 11
||9th - 10th
|Key Stage 5
||16 - 18
||12 - 13
||11th - 12th
At Key Stage 1 and 2, your child will study subjects such as:
English, Math, Science, Design and Technology, History, Geography, Art and Design, Music, Physical Education and Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
At Key Stage 3, they will learn:
English, Math, Science, History, Geography, Modern Foreign Languages, Design and Technology, Art and Design, Music, Drama, and Physical Education.
At Key Stage 4, students will largely work toward the completion of IGCSEs. Students normally study around 10 subjects for the full two years of the course. Compulsory subjects at BISH include English, English Literature, Media, Math, PE, one modern language, one humanities subject and two sciences. Students then fill the remainder of their timetable with their own choice of subjects offered in our option blocks. These include a third science, a second modern language, and a full range of humanities and creative subjects.
The British curriculum is advantageous for parents who wish their child to be schooled in a way that teaches them "core" subjects, and want a consistent scope of learning in the event that their child continues their education elsewhere.
For more information about the National Curriculum, go to gov.uk