BIS Houston’s Approach to Learning in Primary School
The British International School of Houston believes the experiences learners have in Primary School should be centred around developing their curiosity, exploring through play, and connections to the real world. Our students’ learning has been designed to encourage meaningful interactions among their peers and adults.
BIS Houston’s Primary School follows a holistic, enquiry-based approach to learning that focuses on building each student’s curiosity, independence, and agency. We ensure our students feel supported, challenged, and inspired, while providing ample opportunities to discover who they are and how they learn.
Students value the role they play in the learning process by reflecting on their progress and setting their own learning targets under the guidance of our Leader Learner Profile. We support students to develop their self-esteem by embracing both success and failure as pathways through learning. We value their effort, and we nurture their engagement, as we provide opportunities all to succeed.
What Differentiates Our International Elementary School in Houston, Texas
BIS Houston utilises the following globally respected curricula to ensure our students’ diverse needs are met, and their personal experiences are recognised and respected.
- The English National Curriculum: Mathematics, English, and Science objectives
- The International Primary Curriculum (IPC): the foundation subjects of Geography, History, Society Studies, International Studies, and Art and Design
- Specialist Classes: World Languages, Physical Education, and Performing Arts under our Juilliard-enhanced curriculum in music and dance.
The Goals of Our Primary Curriculum
At BIS Houston, our primary curriculum:
- Promotes child-led discovery and ownership of learning.
- Develops curiosity by asking questions to guide learning.
- Uses information technology to enhance learning.
- Encourages students to take the first steps to become independent learners.
- Provides authentic learning opportunities and real-world experiences, which prepare them for the next phase of school and beyond.
- Fosters an ethos of collaboration between students, staff, and parents to deepen understanding.
- Encourages students to deepen their thinking and reflect on the next steps in their learning.
- Nurtures the personal, social, and emotional development of children by exploring values related to personal identity, relationships, and well-being.