- Thank you to so many of you who have ensured your child’s belongings are clearly named please can you check that all water bottles and snack boxes are named every day.
- Swimming lessons have begun. If your child is toilet trained, please send swimming costume, towel, goggles and swim hat each Tuesday. It is a really important part of our curriculum.
- Please remember we are a nut free school, this means you may not send any nut products at all to school at any time, this includes Nutella, snack bars that contain nuts, nut butters, nut oils or nuts.
- For the safety of all the children, please ensure the small gate is closed as you come in and out every morning. This is the indoor gate in the corridor as you approach the pre-nursery area.
- All of the children now have Tapestry posts available for families to view online. We value your feedback on these so please do comment, and add your own photos and notes about learning you are seeing outside of school.
- Our class photos are scheduled for first period Monday morning (11th September), please note that period one begins at 8:50 so it is important to be at school on time. Children are required to wear their Cub t-shirt for class photos. Children who aren’t usually at school on a Monday are invited to come in, with an adult, just for this photo session, or speak to your class teacher about swapping your day next week.
- Registration for the HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) is now open to adults and students. The HSK test will be held on Saturday 11 November 2017. Please see the attached registration form for information. Full documentation and payment for HSK test must be received by Monday 9 October 2017.
OUR LEARNING THEMES
Each teacher will plan learning experiences that link to the readiness and interests that they observe in the children in their class. While these separate themes operate in each room, the children know they are free to choose to work in another room. The planning is specific to each classroom, but not confined to that class, so children have many rich opportunities available to them across the three classrooms. Mandarin teaching will link into each theme, with the Mandarin speaking staff introducing specific language, books and songs.
The Bobcats are showing a keen interest in vehicles! This has been demonstrated with the enthusiasm the children are still showing in our new wooden trucks, our little cars and car garage and the books they are choosing about vehicles and air travel. With this clear interest in the classroom, we will be planning activities and learning opportunities around vehicles this week. Take the time to talk to your child about vehicles they see in their world and feel free to share with us any learning you see taking place. In the classroom this week you will see Small World, Art, Sensory Play and other learning experiences related to vehicles.
We will talk about transport in Mandarin and share some simple vehicle stories.
car/jiao che/轿车 bus/ gong jiao che /公交车 train/ huo che /火车 plane/fei ji /飞机
Song: http://www.56.com/u54/v_MTI0NjY2OTE1.html take a plane/zuo fei ji/坐飞机
The Badgers have been enjoying playing with the role play food and cooker! They were all fascinated by the dish wash in the water tray and they have been using the plastic food on their newly cleaned plates. Due to this clear interest in food and cooking, learning activities and opportunties for next week will be planned around food and cooking. We will be learning the names of some of the foods, reading stories such as ‘Beautiful Bananas’ and role playing a kitchen. Please share any learning you see at home based around food and cooking and talk to your child about their favourite foods.
During Mandarin we will talk about healthy food .We will sing and read foods and vegetables songs and stories.
healthy /jian kang /健康, food/shi wu/食物，vegetable /shu cai/蔬菜，fruit/shui guo/水果
Healthy fruits song/jian kang shui guo ge/健康水果歌
Pick mushroom/cai mo gu/采蘑菇
The Tigers have been really interested in stacking large wooden blocks to make tall buildings. This sparked lots of discussion about fires and how we can put them out. The children used telephones to call the fire station and then helped the fire fighters to extinguish the burning buildings. As a result of their keen interest we have added Fire outfits and props to our block area to inspire them. We will be reading stories and singing songs about fire and using small world and role play to support their learning. The children have also been keen to read ‘Goldilocks and the Three Bears’ and we have added different sized chairs and bears to our small house to see where this interest leads.
We will be retelling the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears in Mandarin and singing a Three Bears song.