For more information about the routines of your child’s individual class please attend our ‘Meet and Greet’ meeting on Monday 29 August from 6.15-8.00pm. There will be a brief ‘Welcome’, followed by two sessions with class teachers in the classrooms; one at 6.45pm and another at 7.15pm. This will give you the opportunity to meet teachers if you have children in different year groups. It will allow you also to ask any questions and meet other parents of children in your class.
- A warm welcome back to school for all new and existing students. We have had an exciting first week in Year 1 and are looking forward enabling all the children to thrive and achieve throughout the year.
- Homework will be given out on Wednesdays and expected in on Mondays. For these first week, homework was optional and entries can be brought in any time before Wednesday 9 September.
- Please ensure that your child has the correct school uniform. In particular please ensure your child is wearing black shoes. Girls should wear plain white socks and boys should wear black or grey socks. You can review the school’s uniform policy at http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/shanghai/puxi/our-students/student-life/our-school-uniform
- Please remember to send in and label your child’s snack box and water bottle, as well as a hat during the hot weather.
- If for any reason your child is unable to take part in PE, please send a signed message in your child’s communication book. Your child still needs to bring in their PE kit to enable them to participate as a coach, an official or to give feedback. If your child would be swimming, they should bring their normal PE kit.
- ECA and BISCAP sign-up is available on the school website until 31 August and confirmation letters will follow. Both programmes will begin on Monday 12 September.
This week in Literacy the children will be continuing to practise their pencil control and letter formation. They will also learn how to write labels for different diagrams and pictures. Children will then write a special list of important items that they would need to take with them on holiday. We will be starting to learn all about finger spaces and how important they are when writing.
Pencil, letters, lower case, capitals, finger spaces, labels, lists, diagrams, pictures.
In Maths, children will be continuing to practise their counting, number recognition and number formation. They will also begin to learn about one more and one less than a number. Children will focus on how to use a number line/ number square to help them with this.
Numbers, counting, number formation, one more, one less, forwards, backwards, numberline, hundred/number square.
This term Year 1 will be learning all about the theme ‘Who am I?’ They will focus on getting to know their new friends and with the help of Barnaby Bear, they will learn all about some of the different countries that the children are from.
This week we will be learning how to sketch when creating observational self portraits. Children will help each other to describe what they look like and will look closely in a mirror when focusing on the different shapes which make up their face. They will then carefully sketch their eyes, nose and mouth.
Sketching, pencil, observations, drawing, mirror, shapes, eyes, nose, mouth, face, head.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND DIGITAL LITERACY
This week, children will be learning how to log themselves on and off of a computer or laptop. They will focus on learning how to type the Year 1 user name and password and will pratise their skills when moving the mouse. Within class, they will also be learning how to use the ipads correctly and safely.
Computer, laptop, keyboard, mouse, screen, log in, password, ipad.
With many new children joining our classes, we will be focusing, as a year group on settling into our new environment with particular emphasis on fostering new friendships and establishing golden rules. We will also focus on how we can keep healthy by washing our hands.
Positive, rule, safe, friendships, keeping healthy.
This week we will focus on setting up classroom routines; knowing the location of Mandarin classrooms; meeting teachers and students through interactive activities.
Mandarin Y1 MNDCN
Juf Cindy en Jules kunnen niet wachten om de kinderen te verwelkomen in groep 2. We maken kennis met een nieuw vriendje in de klas en Villa Letterpret is gevuld met allerlei nieuwe klanken.
We lezen het boek `Op reis`van Guido van Genechten, een hartverwarmend boek over samen op reis gaan. Samen met kikker en egel gaan we over de bergen, door een tunnel en op de overzetboot voorbij allerlei mooie landschappen en praten we over hoe het voelt om op reis te gaan.
Heeft u leuke vakantiefoto`s van uw kind mail deze dan zeker naar email@example.com.
We ordenen reisfoto`s op de wereldkaart en blikken terug op de voorbije zomervakantie.
De letter van de week is `i` van ik!