BISAD Diploma categories
At BIS Abu Dhabi, we take a holistic approach to our students’ education. Our BISAD Diploma values every aspect of your child’s learning and personal development, where students are supported to achieve their absolute best in academic, sporting, and creative fields. They also take part in activities that hone important social skills, like respect, kindness, and a willingness to help others.
The BISAD Diploma has nine categories. Our students record their achievements against each category in their Diploma Portfolio.
- Co-curricular Activities (CCAs).
- Environmental Awareness.
- Personal Characteristics.
Our younger students work towards the following characteristics: Thoughtful, Risk-taker, Reflective, Resilient, Knowledgeable, Curious, Respectful, Resourceful, Communicator, and Empathetic.
For our secondary students, the characteristics mirror the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) Learning Profile: Thinker, Risk-taker, Reflective, Principled, Open-Minded, Knowledgeable, Inquirer, Communicator, Caring, and Balanced.
Each year, students aim to complete their BISAD Diploma. There are three tiers:
- Bronze: This is the basic BISAD Diploma level, awarded if students record one achievement in each category and characteristic.
- Silver: To achieve Silver, students need to record two examples in a category and one against each characteristic.
- Gold: This is the exceptional level. Our most ambitious students go above and beyond to record three examples in each category and characteristic.
Examples of student success
To bring the BISAD Diploma to life, we’ve provided some activity suggestions against each category.
Service: Helping a younger child with their homework, donating to or fundraising for a good cause, or coming up with a charity initiative.
Leadership: Captaining a sports team, leading a new project or idea, or teaching someone how to do something.
House: Taking part in a House Day or the BIS Got Talent show, earning the most House Points in a month, or volunteering to be House Captain.
CCAs: Attending a CCA, using a CCA to improve a skill, or applying something learnt in a CCA.
Academics: Taking part in an out-of-school academic activity, challenging themselves to do an activity they find hard, making progress in a subject, or doing an exceptional piece of homework.
Cultural: Visiting a famous UAE landmark, completing their own research about the UAE, or travelling and trying local traditions.
Sport: Playing in a team or competition, getting a sports certificate, or trying a new sport.
Arts: Taking part in a show, playing an instrument, performing a poem in class, watching a film and writing a review, or visiting a gallery.
Environmental Awareness: Recycling, adopting reusable products, or making people aware of environmental issues.
How can parents help?
You can support your child to succeed by:
- Emailing or sending in photos of your child doing an activity.
- Sending in trophies, certificates, or medals.
- Encouraging your child to sign up for CCAs, sports clubs, theatre productions, etc.
- Filming your child doing something and sending it to their teacher.
- Talking to your child about the BISAD Diploma, showing them examples, and planning how they’ll achieve Bronze.
- Creating opportunities for your child to achieve Bronze, such as doing something cultural at the weekend.
- Encouraging them to go for Gold!