Information and Reminders
As you make be aware next Tuesday we are pleased to welcome to our school the author Neil Griffiths. Neil will be running a parent reading workshop from 9am - 10am.
Some parents have expressed that they would like to attend both the workshop and the exit point, therefore we have slightly changed the timings for the Year 2 exit point:
2c - will remain the same 10.15am-10.45am
2b - will now be at the later time of 10.55am-11.25am
2a - will also be at the later time of 11.35am-12.05pm.
For the exit point we would like the children to wear their People of the Past costumes. On the day please could they come to school in their school uniform and bring their costume in a bag.
We will change to summer uniform when we return from the April holidays. Please visit the school website or check in your child’s Learning Journal for the appropriate clothing, which can be purchased at our uniform shop.
Week beginning 27th March – ‘Into the Woods’ production
Tuesday 28th March – Author Neil Griffiths visiting NAIS Pudong, including a Parent Workshop from 9am to 10am
Tuesday 28th March – People of the Past Exit Point
Friday 31st March – Last day of term
Monday 10th April – Summer term begins
Star of the Week.
2A - Jersey for politeness and manners around school.
2B - Anny for working hard to produce wonderful charcoal artwork.
2C – Madison for a positive attitude towards her learning.
Next week in English our main focus will be Spelling, Punctuation And Grammar. Our Learning Objectives covered will include:
- Continue to apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words until automatic decoding has become embedded and reading is fluent.
- Read accurately by blending sounds in words that contain the graphemes taught so far, especially recognising alternative sounds for graphemes.
- Add suffixes to spell longer words, including – ment, -ness, -less, -ly,- er
- To use expanded noun phrases to describe and specify.
- Learn how to use the present and past tenses correctly and consistently.
- Use of capital letters, full stops, exclamation marks and question marks to demarcate sentences.
Next week in maths we will revisit our work on subtraction. Our Learning Objectives covered will include:
- Recall and use subtraction facts within 20
- Derive subtraction facts within 100
- Understand why subtraction is not commutative
- Subtract ones from a two-digit number using concrete objects (base 10 blocks, numicon), pictorial representations (an empty number line, partitioning, etc.), and mentally (using number bonds)
- Subtract tens from a two-digit number using concrete objects, pictorial representations, and mentally
- Subtract two two-digit numbers using concrete objects, pictorial representations, and mentally
Our topic People of the Past comes to an end this week. We will create a booklet about all the historical figures we have learnt about over the last few weeks. We are excited to invite you to our Exit Point on Tuesday. This will show all our learning about Neil Armstrong, Christopher Columbus, Florence Nightingale, Picasso and any other people we have researched or studied for our topic homework. Our next Year 2 topic will be Buildings.