Information and Reminders
There will be no P.E. sessions for Year 2 pupils on Wednesday and Thursday next week, as we are very pleased to be hosting the Primary FOBISIA Games.
Due to the games taking place this will also mean that there will be no CCAs on Friday 19th May.
STEAM Day - The theme for the upcoming STEAM day (Thursday 18 May) will be recycling. Please bring in clean, safe recyclable materials (plastic, cardboard, paper) for construction on the day.
For this day the children may come to school in their house t-shirts.
Now that the weather is becoming warmer, children should wear their summer uniform. Please visit the school website or check in your child’s Learning Journal for the appropriate clothing, which can be purchased at our uniform shop.
Please note that IB and IGCSE exams are taking place and will be taken in the Primary building. The main staircase in B Block will remain closed and all students and adults should use alternative staircases. Please can we ask parents not to wait in the area outside the Hive, outside Sports Hall B or along the Year 3 classrooms, as we need to ensure silence for our older students. Parents are always welcome to go to Aspretto, our coffee shop, whilst waiting for students. Thank you for your support.
Year 2 Assembly dates:
2C’s Assembly - will be held on Thursday 25th May
2A’s Assembly - will be held on Thursday 1st June
Saturday 13th May – Dads and Kids Campout
Wednesday 17th May – Parent Workshop: STEAM in Early Years and Primary; 9.00am
Thursday 18th May – Saturday 20th May – Primary FOBISIA games
Thursday 18th May – Early Years and Primary STEAM Day
Tuesday 23rd May – Stage and Screen Performance; 6.00pm; Auditorium
Wednesday 24th May - Muffins with Mums; The Hub; 8.30am followed by HSK Workshop; 9.00am
Thursday 25th May – 2C Class Assembly
Friday 26th May – Coffee Morning with Head of Primary and Head of Secondary; Aspretto; 11.00am
Monday 29th May and Tuesday 30th May - School closed
Thursday 1st June – 2A Class Assembly
Wednesday 7th June – Parent Workshop – Transitions: 3rd Culture Kids with Olivia’s Place; 9.30am
Wednesday 7th June – Coffee Morning with Head of Primary and Head of Secondary; Aspretto; 11.00am
Friday 9th June – CCAs finish today
Saturday 10th June - Summer Fun Day
Thursday 22nd June – Primary Year in Review Assembly; Sports Hall B; 9.00am and End of Year Class Parties
Friday 23rd June – Last day of School Year; students finish at 12pm
Star of the Week
2A Marlijne - for trying hard on her fractions work.
2B Michael - for a great piece of descriptive writing.
2C Lily - for writing an excellent newspaper report.
Next week in English we will continue to read ‘The man who walked between the towers’ by Mordicai Gernstein.
Reading Key Objectives:
- Develop pleasure in reading, vocabulary and understanding by discussing their favourite words and phrases.
- Understand books they listen to by: making inferences on the basis of what is being said and done.
- Understand books they listen to by: predicting what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far.
- To become increasing familiar with and retell a wider range of stories, fairy stories and traditional tales.
Writing Key Objectives:
- Use commas to separate items in a list.
- Learn how to use: expanded noun phrases to describe and specify.
- Use of capital letters, full stops, question marks and exclamation marks.
- Develop positive attitudes towards and stamina for writing by: writing for different purposes.
- Learn how to use sentences with different forms: statement, question, exclamation, command.
Next week in maths we will look at Place Value, Number, Sequencing and Patterns.
Maths Objectives covered will include:
- To read and write numbers to 100 in numerals and words.
- To count in steps of 3 from 0 – forwards and backwards.
- To learn number bonds to 10, 20 and 100.
- To recall and use addition and subtraction facts to 10, 20 and 100 fluently.
- To predict the next number in the sequence.
- To explain the rule using count on, count back.
In Topic this week, we will continue to look at houses from around the world with a focus on igloos. As scientists we will learn about how they are made and where they are located. We will have an igloo construction challenge using sugar cubes.
As artists, we will create a cityscape of a skyline at night, using paint we will create a sunset then look at different pictures of city skylines and draw our own.