Information and Reminders
- We are encouraging Year 5 children to read at home at least 3 times a week. If you read with your child at home, please mark inside their learning journals for their class teachers to see.
- Homework is sent on Wednesdays and must be returned on Mondays to be marked. Please make sure you encourage your child to complete it on their own and inform us if they found the activity challenging so we can further support them in school. They can sign up for homework club on Thursdays and Fridays which is first come, first served.
- Don’t forget to check Class Dojo to see how many House Points your child has been collecting and to see posts of what is happening in your child’s class.
- Please make sure your child brings a water bottle to school.
- Please note that IGCSE exams are taking place and will be taken in the Primary building. The main staircase in B Block will remain closed and all students and adults should use alternative staircases. Please can we ask parents not to wait in the area outside the Hive, outside Sports Hall B or along the Year 3 classrooms, as we need to ensure silence for our older students. Parents are always welcome to go to Aspretto, our coffee shop, whilst waiting for students. Thank you for your support.
- Yearbooks are now available to order. Please complete the slip sent out on Class Dojo or Mailchimp, and return to the Uniform Shop along with the correct amount of money. Please order by Friday 2nd June.
- Please remember to send in your child’s friendship choice letter by Wednesday 31st June 2017.
Monday 29th May and Tuesday 30th May - School closed
Wednesday 7th June – Parent Workshop – Transitions: 3rd Culture Kids with Olivia’s Place; 9.30am
Wednesday 7th June – Coffee Morning with Head of Primary and Head of Secondary; Aspretto; 11.00am
Friday 9th June – CCAs finish today
Saturday 10th June - Summer Fun Day
Wednesday 14th June – KS2 Production - Matinee performance 1:30pm
Thursday 15th June – KS2 Production - Evening performance 6:00pm
Monday 19th June – KS2 Sports Day
Thursday 22nd June – Primary Year in Review Assembly; Sports Hall B; 9.00am and End of Year Class Parties
Friday 23rd June – Last day of School Year; students finish at 12pm
Star of the Week
5A is Laura Curiel, for showing an assertive attitude in all subjects.
5B is Maximilien Bolton, for his inquisitive approach to topic learning, and for sharing his knowledge with the class.
In English, the children will use their reading of ‘Team Moon’, and their topic work, to begin to research and present information about space. They will write persuasively, culminating in the writing and designing of a holiday brochure advertising a holiday to space.
Focus: Take notes; Imitate a genre; Identify authorial intention; Use persuasive techniques
In Mathematics, we will be revising fractions, decimals and percentages. We will be matching up decimals with their equivalent fraction in hundredths or thousandths, as we also connect this with our understanding of thousandths. We will be representing percentages and fractions visually, and will see how we can apply this to number. Finally, we will also look at equivalent fractions, and how to add and subtract fractions that do not have the same denominator.
In topic this week, the children will be learning about the 3 different types of rocks: Igneous, Metamorphic and Sedimentary and classifying them. As space explorers we will consider what the surface of the Moon’s surface is like. The children will explore the word ‘crater’ and they will research how a crater is formed. The children will set up a scientific experiment, investigating which variables have a greater effect on surface impact.