Dear parents, students and staff,
You will be aware that China is currently experiencing an outbreak of a new strain of Corona virus.
The symptoms of this virus initially resemble flu. It has been shown to spread from person to person and can be very serious, especially in the very young, very old, or those with weakened immune systems.
I am writing to inform you of the steps we will be taking to minimize the risks to our school communities.
1) All of our schools are increasing cleaning routines. Since the main mechanism of spread for the virus seems to be through infected surfaces (such as door handles etc.) we will be disinfecting the classrooms twice per day.
2) UV lamps will be in place in early years’ class rooms over night to ensure any
viruses are destroyed.
3) We will require children who are ill, for any reason, to remain at home. We cannot quickly distinguish between a fever for other reasons and one that might indicate the virus. Children who arrive at school with a fever will be sent home.
4) We will be requiring temperature checks for children getting onto the bus. Any child with a fever will not be permitted to board the bus and will been to return home. There will be no exceptions to this as the safety of all children must be our chief concern.
5) During the period of increased risk, we will likely remove some communal play items from playgrounds and prevent children sharing play equipment. Though this might mean playtimes are somewhat restricted for a time it is an important step.
6) We will instruct all children on methods to avoid infection, handwashing, not sharing food etc. These instructions will be given by their teachers/tutors at an age appropriate level.
7) Some educational visits might be cancelled. This might include sporting fixtures. We would ask for your understanding on this matter.
8) We will work closely with the Government Health Authorities and will receive daily updates from them.
9) We would ask parents to refrain from risky travel and behavior during the holiday period. Although the virus has spread it is still concentrated in the Wuhan area of China. Animal markets and other high-risk areas should be avoided.