Whilst traditionally the majority of our IB graduates have applied to UK Russell Group universities, we are aware that the higher education landscape is both vast and dynamic, and that plenty of competitive alternatives are available. We aim to provide a high standard of global university guidance, via formal presentations and information events for entire year groups and bespoke one-to-one meetings with individual students.
Mr Lennon(University Guidance) take the lead on advising students across the key stages, but our form tutors, heads of year and academic subject specialists also provide strong input to the programme.
Students are encouraged to be proactive and independent in their research, but also to make appointments with tutors and guidance counsellors to discuss options and to seek help with completing application forms.
The Resource Room, adjacent to the IB College Learning Centre, is stocked with university prospectuses and guides on a variety of related subjects, for example, additional testing required for university applicants, such as IELTS and SATs. This room also provides a useful space for quiet research and small group discussions with advisers.
Year 12 events:
- October: Workshop on university options and applications processes; Bridge-U registration.
- November: Visit to British Council HE Exhibition in Warsaw; visit of representatives and presentation from the London School of Economics (LSE), University College London (UCL) and Kings College London (KCL).
- March: University Information Evening for students and parents; visit of Dutch Universities to TBS.
- May: Visit to Warsaw of Oxford University Representative.
- June: Workshop - course choices and personal statement drafts.
Year 13 university application deadlines:
- September: Completion of personal statements and application forms for UK and USA early decision.
- October: Applications sent for Oxford, Cambridge, Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science (by 15th October).
- November: Remaining university applications for UK, USA and Netherlands.
- January: Final deadline for UCAS (UK) (15th January) and US applications.