At North Broward Preparatory School, the Juilliard – Nord Anglia Performing Arts Program has inspired us to dream bigger - sparking ambition in our faculty and students and exciting our community.
Within our Fine Arts Department, we follow two mottos “Always Better” and Loris Malaguzzi’s famous quote “Nothing without Joy”. These have given us a healthy obsession with quality that propels us to continuously “Be Ambitious”.
Since September, we’ve woven the Juilliard program’s elements into the fabric of everything we do. Perhaps the most visible and easily celebrated element has been the connections that we’ve made with Juilliard’s network of alumni and artists. This has helped us expand our existing practice of collaborating with experts and enabled us to forge even more meaningful and productive collaborations among our faculty, students, professional artists and Juilliard alumni.
Our faculty has inspired our students to reach further by imagining and successfully championing a variety of artist residencies, projects, and visits that ranged from single day workshops and masterclasses to multi-month ventures including a choreographer in residence, a composition collaboration, an opera residency and a visit by our dancers to Juilliard in NYC.
These long-term encounters provide experiences that deepen our students’ learning and engagement in truly life changing ways. To see some highlights of a few of these view the video above.
Additionally, these projects have had a powerful effect on our broader community by fostering cultural literacy, instilling the value of arts education, and building our reputation as a leader in arts education.
List of Juilliard inspired experiences at NBPS this school year
“Choreographer in residence”
- Herman Payne, Juilliard Alumni
- Year-long residency
- IB Dance
- Various dance classes
- Jude Vaclavik
- 5-month project
- Facilitated composition workshops involving student ideation
- Composed Prelude for Strings for NBPS String Orchestra
- World premier planned for April 2018 at Carnegie Hall in NYC
- Daniel Bates, Teaching Artist
- Gianni Schicchi
- December – February
- Vocal coaching
- Assistant directing
- Tenor role
Day long Masterclasses and workshops
- Drew Sandbulte, Juilliard Alumni
- Meng-Chieh Liu, Curtis Professor
- Palm Beach Opera
- Emily Schaad, Curtis Alumni
- Aaron Venable, Juilliard Alumni
- Elaina Correa, Juilliard Alumni
- Amernet String Quartet, Juilliard Alumni
- NBPS Dancers attended tour and workshops at The Juilliard School in NYC
- Paco Fonta, Flamenco Guitar
- Kenneth Tse, Saxophone Professor University of Iowa