“Success in an IB program correlates well with success at Harvard. We are always pleased to see the credentials of the IB Diploma Programme on the transcript. GPA is not nearly as important a factor in university admission as the IB Diploma. If a student has to choose, then choose the Diploma over protecting the GPA.”
– Assistant Dean of Admissions at Harvard.
IB students study six subjects; three at higher level and three at standard level. They must choose from the following options:
- A literature-based language course (English Language and Literature)
- A conversationally based second language course (French or Spanish)
- A social science course (Economics, Geography, History, or Global Politics)
- A science course (Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Systems, or Physics)
- A mathematics course
- An elective course (visual arts, a third language, or a second social science or science course)
Students must also complete three core requirements:
- An Extended Essay linked to a topic of individual interest, within one of the six chosen subjects.
- This is an independent piece of research, finishing as a 4,000-word paper.
- A Theory of Knowledge (ToK) course designed to encourage students to reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- Creativity, Action, and Service (CAS), which requires students to take part in a range of experiences and at least one project. All components must focus on creativity, action, and service.
The IB Diploma Programme encourages students to ask challenging questions, learn how to learn best, develop a strong sense of their own identity and culture, and develop the ability to communicate with and understand people from other countries and cultures. With over 70 different nationalities, an experienced international staff, small class sizes, and a highly personalized approach to learning, BISW is an ideal choice for students interested in the IB Diploma.
We also have a full-time College Counselor who works with the students to prepare them thoroughly for entry into universities and colleges throughout the world. Our College Counselor has extensive knowledge of the entry requirements and procedures for private and public US and Canadian schools as well as the differing requirements of UK and European universities.