Our comprehensive programme of Continued Professional Development (CPD) ensures that our teachers are kept up to date with the latest teaching methodologies and ideas. It is expected that teachers will proactively continue to develop themselves as professionals whilst they are employed at the school.
As a Nord Anglia Education school, we are part of a family of 76 schools across 31 countries. Consequently, by joining BIS Hanoi you will be joining a global community of over 14,000 professional educators and support staff. Our worldwide network of schools means more opportunities for you to work with world-leading institutions such as The Juilliard School and MIT, share best practices with colleagues and develop your career.
Nord Anglia University
This incredible online portal offers a diverse range of bespoke learning opportunities for all members of staff from leadership programmes, regionally based teacher training conferences to workshops in school as well as enhances connectivity to other teaching professionals and a network of professional support forums.
We provide all teachers at BIS Hanoi with access to Nord Anglia University, a vibrant, in-house professional community that enables all Nord Anglia Education teachers to develop innovation in the classroom and beyond.
This contemporary approach to continuing professional development enables Nord Anglia Education staff to learn and develop within their school, their region and across the global family of schools to ensure they are bringing the best of contemporary educational thinking to our students.
In-house Continued Professional Development
BIS Hanoi has a significant budget to support the Continued Professional Development of our teachers. Over the course of an academic year, there are 8 non-pupil days dedicated to the professional development of all staff in addition to other ongoing development for staff which includes:
- New Staff Induction at the beginning of each academic year
- Whole campus or sectional CPD sessions (these may involve external providers)
- Development Teams (working groups that align to the whole, Primary and Secondary school priorities)
- Steering Committees
- Weekly meetings
- Learning Walks, Lesson Drop ins and feedback
- During the year, each teacher will be observed formally by a senior or middle manager. The purpose of these observations is to evaluate teachers’ performance and to offer, where necessary, suggestions for further skill development as well as to inform discussions about career development.
- Throughout the year, specific areas may be identified for development and in-house expertise can be shared with colleagues. A time has been set aside each Tuesday after school during which workshops or information dissemination can take place.
Off-Campus Continued Professional Development
Additionally, the school often receives notification of formal CPD opportunities being offered in the region and will take advantage of them as appropriate. These usually fall into the following categories:
Other schools within the region who are seeking to share the cost of an external CPD provider or wish to share their own in-house expertise
- An increasing number of private providers offering courses within the region
- IB/IGCSE/IPC regional courses
- Advanced Qualifications
The school will support a limited number of teachers who wish to study towards advanced qualifications like an MA, MBA, NPQH. Applications should be made to the Head of School.
If you feel that international teaching at the British International School Hanoi might be the right option for you, please visit our vacancies page to view our latest job opportunities.