This is where the Eco-Schools program comes in. Eco-Schools is a global program that helps schools to reduce their environmental impact and promote sustainability. It is a student-led program, and students work together with teachers and staff to develop and implement initiatives to reduce the school's energy and water consumption, waste production, and carbon footprint.
The Eco-Schools program has many benefits for students, schools, and the community. For students, the program provides an opportunity to learn about environmental issues and develop the skills and knowledge needed to protect the planet. For schools, the Eco-Schools program can lead to many benefits, including reduced costs, improved energy efficiency, and a healthier learning environment. For the community, the Eco-Schools program can help to raise awareness of environmental issues and to promote sustainable practices.
At Northbridge International School Cambodia, we believe that it is important to nurture a generation of wise, responsible global citizens, who feel empowered to make positive differences to their communities. We call this our social purpose of building local and global change-makers. For example, students learn how to conduct research, develop, and implement projects, and advocate for change. They also learn how to work collaboratively and to lead others.
That is why we are so proud of our NISC Eco-council. They are a group of passionate students who are working hard to make our school and our community more sustainable. They have started a recycling and composting program, created action plans for less energy consumption, waste management and biodiversity, and organized events on environmental issues.
I am so proud of the work that our Eco-council is doing. They are truly inspiring, and they are giving me hope for the future. Here are the Eco-challenges that the NISC Eco-council plans to take part in!
- Cut Your Carbon is our month-long carbon-cutting challenge. Taking place throughout November 2023, the campaign challenges young people and their families to complete nine simple actions that will reduce their carbon footprint. Cut Your Carbon is a terrific way to learn more about the carbon emissions connected to everyday actions and how we can reduce them by making small, manageable changes.
- On November 8, 2023, CNN will be holding the third annual Call to Earth Day. Call to Earth is a CNN initiative dedicated to conservation, environmentalism, and sustainability. Across TV, website, and social media, they will highlight stories about our incredible planet and the remarkable people who are protecting it. The NISC Eco-council plans to join this year!
So, what can you do to help? Here are a few ideas:
- Get involved in our Eco-Schools program. Volunteer to help with Eco-council activities, donate supplies or materials for Eco-council projects, or talk to your child about environmental issues and encourage them to get involved.
- Support the school's sustainability initiatives, such as composting, recycling, waste management and biodiversity.
- Make changes at home to reduce your own environmental impact. This could include things like using less energy, recycling more, and reducing waste.
Together, we can make a difference. Let us show the world that students can be the heroes we need to save the planet!