From shared playtimes with Year One, number walks into the Year One classes, joining Friday assemblies, collecting House Points, Year One teachers visiting F3 and preparing the children for the planned ‘Class Swap’ day next Tuesday – these are all some of the ways we have been working together to help children prepare for Year One.
Every morning next week we will be encouraging children to say goodbye to their parents downstairs in the morning and to carry their own bags upstairs to the classes. Teachers will support children with the morning routine of choosing lunches and putting bags away.
Other ideas for encouraging independence, managing self-care and keeping learning going over the holidays are;
- Read, read, read – share books together daily. Your child can continue to explore books at home or to spot sounds and text in the world around them. Visit a library if you are lucky enough to visit a country where there are libraries. If not visit a bookstore; browse or buy some books.
- Encourage your child to dress themselves, try a new food, tidy up their belongings after them
- Find and collect special things as you are out and about. These don’t have to be something you buy – you could collect stones, twigs, pine cones or shells from the beach.
- Write and send a postcard to someone your child loves.
- Some helpful websites which we use in school and you might like to visit:-
Thank you to all the parents who joined us for this coffee morning, and if you would like to see a copy of the presentation, please click on the link below:
Transition Workshop 20th June F3 to Year 1
Maria Shooter, F3 Leader