Some of the key aspects of the meeting included:
- Emotional and logical tips on how to decide about one’s career: to connect it with a hobby; to look for a way to make the world a better place; to predict where the market will be in 15 years’ time as some jobs will become automated or robot-based
- The benefits of experience as well as academic qualifications in order to be a good manager
- The challenge of managing teams and the importance of good communication skills in management
- The essential distinction between technical and analytical skills that financial accountants need and the ability to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- What tips can be given to help people gain promoted posts - not only working hard and doing your best, but also getting good feedback from your line manager and making sure they know about your aspirations
- What a typical day looks like for a financial manager
- The difficulties of managing work-life balance as a manager
- What languages are necessary to gain a management position (in Poland)
- The difference between financial and management accounting
- Whether Mrs Lee had ever considered setting up her own business
We are very thankful to Mrs Lee for this invaluable insight into the real world of her professional life and warmly invite other parents to speak to our students about their jobs and careers (the application form can be found here).
Students are welcome to join the next meet the professional event on Wednesday 6th February, further information on attachment below.
Humanities teacher, pre-IB form tutor
Careers and work experience co-ordinator