“Success in an IB program correlates well with success at Harvard. We are always pleased to see the credentials of the IB Diploma Program on the transcript. GPA is not nearly as important a factor in university admission as the IB Diploma. If a student has to choose, choose the Diploma over protecting the GPA”. Assistant Dean of Admissions at Harvard
IB Years (Years 12 & 13 / Grades 11 & 12)
Students at BISW all follow the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme once they reach Year 12. The IB is a challenging two-year course of study that prepares students for success in higher education and life in a global society. This programme of study leads to a highly-regarded qualification that is widely recognized by the world’s leading universities.
Students study 6 subjects; 3 at higher level and 3 at standard level, from the following groups:
- A literature-based language course (English Language and Literature)
- A conversational-based second language course (French or Spanish)
- A social science (Economics, Geography, History or Global Politics)
- A science course (Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Systems or Physics)
- A mathematics course
- An elective course (visual arts, 3rd language or 2nd social science / science)
Students must also complete 3 core requirements:
- An Extended Essay linked to a topic of individual interests within one of the six chosen subjects. This is an independent piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
- A Theory of Knowledge course designed to encourage students to reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) - CAS requires students to take part in a range of experiences and at least one project that all focus on the three aforementioned concepts.
The IB Diploma Programme encourages students to ask challenging questions, learn how to learn, develop a strong sense of their own identity & culture, and develop the ability to communicate with and understand people from other countries and cultures. With over 60 different nationalities, an experienced international staff, small class sizes and highly personalised learning, BISW is an ideal choice for students interested in the IB Diploma.
We also have a full-time College Counselor who works with the students to prepare them thoroughly for entry in to universities and colleges throughout the world. Our College Counselor has extensive knowledge of the entry requirements and procedures for private and public US and Canadian schools and the differing requirements of UK and European universities.
Read more about the IB Diploma Programme from the IB.