Our approach to learning will ensure that your child will work at a challenging pace towards individualized goals. With a variety of activities taking place in the classroom for each lesson, children work individually, in pairs, in groups and as a whole class, accessing and demonstrating learning in the way that offers each individual the most success.
In addition to academics, our curriculum is designed to nurture essential values and attitudes like resilience, morality, communication, thoughtfulness, cooperation, respect and adaptability.
Early Years (Ages 2 to 5)
Focused on the development needs of young children, our Early Years curriculum:
- Focuses on the development of the whole child
- Is based on principles of learning through purposeful play
- Tailors fun and practical activities to develop literacy and math concepts
7 areas of concentration:
- communication and language
- physical development
- personal, social and emotional development
- understanding the world
- expressive arts and design
Teaching is often done through play, where the child learns about subjects and other people through games. Learning is supported by thematic topics including Food, Transport, Patterns, Bears and Family and Friends. These modern and child-friendly topics engage student interest and capture the imagination.
To support learning through play, Early Years classrooms are set up into different areas, for example, role-play, construction, cooking, investigation, reading, writing, computers, sand and water. Activities are both child-initiated and adult-led and take place indoors and outdoors, to offer a range of experiences from which children can learn first-hand.
Progress is tracked and documented in their Personal Learning Portfolio, which highlights key experiences and learning moments from both home and school, highlighted with photographs, writing, and student pictures.
Years 1 and 2 (Ages 5-7)
Your child will build on the skills acquired in the Nursery and Reception through new themes and challenges. Themes in Years 1 and 2 include Holidays, Celebrations, Senses, Clothes, Time Detectives and Structures.
Additional changes include more structured Literacy and Maths lessons and the introduction of specialist teachers for ICT, music, P.E. and French.
Years 3-6 (Ages 7-11)
In Years 3-6, themes include Inventions and Machinery; Earthquakes and Volcanoes; Making the News; and How Artists View the World.
Learning is further structured and subject-specific. Subjects include:
- Literacy (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
- Information, Communication and Technology
- PE (dance, games, gymnastics, swimming, athletics, and outdoor and adventurous activities)
- A choice of French or Spanish
- Music (composing, performing, listening (vocal and instrumental)