Studying in the US can be a very time consuming process and involves writing a personal essay for each university applied to. Below is a youtube video explaining how important it is and what it should contain.
If you pay for university/college in the USA yourself it can be incredibly expensive, but it is possible to receive financial aid. You should make your application for financial aid at the same time as your application. The financial aid is either 'need based', 'needs blind'or 'merit based'.
Although private universities are much more expensive than public universities do not be discouraged in applying to them, as they are more likely to give students 'grants' (non repayable) than public universities.
Scholarships can also be applied for separately. There is a scholarship search on collegeboard website.
- First stage is to do a PSAT (Preliminary SAT) here in the school in October of Year 12.
- Applicants should register on collegeboard to sign up for SATs and have access to information universities and the application process.
- SATs or ACT are standardised assessment tests and can be done here in Bratislava. SATs should be sat in May/June of Year 12 and then again in September of Year 13. SAT Subject Tests should be sat in October of Year 13. Registration for SATs should be done two months in advance.
- Many institutions accept 'The Common Application'; others have there own application form.
- 'Early Decision' applications are sent in October/November and regular applications in December, before the January deadlines.
- Part of the application process includes writing an essay from a list of titles on the application form, which can be similar to your personal statement.
At Liberal Arts Colleges students can study a wide range of subjects in the first year before specialising later.